First swimbait bass of the year

CG_Fishes

Caught my first swimbait bass of the year, and since last July. Haven't been targetting bass, especially largemouth a whole lot the past few years. Being obsessed with pike, walleye and now trout on the fly. For my first swimbait bass of the year it certainly wasn't a bad fish, being my biggest since 2019 at 5lbs 7oz. Spent 4 hours with the fly rod in my hand catching bluegill, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, golden shiner and even crappie on wooly buggers, nymphs and dries. Picked up the bass gear after seeing some bass blowing up on fish and having a 5-6lb fish chase a shiner to my feet and jump out of the water trying to grab it off my line. 3 casts with the magdraft and she ate a few cranks in. Stoked to have caught one this size for my first of the year. I probably won't spend a whole lot of time chasing these guys, but wouldn't mind a few more this size. Overall a fantastic day on the water

20220515_203121~2.jpg

20220515_203134~2.jpg

20220515_202713.jpg

20220515_200140.jpg

20220515_164846.jpg

20220515_175557.jpg

20220515_175632.jpg

20220515_193533.jpg

20220515_203021.jpg

image.jpg

20220515_164712.jpg

20220515_181241.jpg

image.jpg

20220515_174321.jpg

20220515_201246.jpg

20220515_174826.jpg

20220515_170316.jpg

Those are beautiful fish.I'm in the same boat. I've been using alot of conventional tackle. That's what I love about NY. I can drive 10 mins for trophy pike water and walleyes. I have been getting some good action on the Flag 170 though. I used to fly fish but haven't in a few years

Come for the largemouth catch....stay for all the awesome other species.

Congrats Conner on the nice largemouth!  That fish really has some profile both in hand and on the board.  Excellent images of all the other fish....each species is its own beautiful little gem.  Really loving the golden shiner.  For as many waters as I know they swim in by me, I have never actually caught/seen one.  

45 minutes ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

Come for the largemouth catch....stay for all the awesome other species.

Congrats Conner on the nice largemouth!  That fish really has some profile both in hand and on the board.  Excellent images of all the other fish....each species is its own beautiful little gem.  Really loving the golden shiner.  For as many waters as I know they swim in by me, I have never actually caught/seen one.  

Thanks Carl, that bass was definitely a good end to my day. Such a fat fish, surprised it didn't weigh more. I suspect it was mainly egg weight as the belly felt empty and she was dropping eggs as I was getting pics/releasing her. Crazy how early the fish are spawning this year, my season may be over before it really started. Multispecies has been my jam for a while now. It's more fun when you value every catch instead of treating certain fish as lesser than just because they aren't bass. For example, many angler's attitude towards pickerel. Overall I have definitely taken a step back from trophy fishing and into fun fishing as my fishing time has been limited with school. As for the golden shiners, they are incredibly elussive, I have never seen one other than on the end of my line, or dimpling the surface. Super fun to catch, like little sharks attacking dry flies.