Chunky Colorado Channel Cat

FishDr

Headed out last night with the Fish Cat 8 pontoon in search of bass. It was the first trip for the pontoon this year. I didn’t find any bass but I did get this 32” channel cat on the 9” Slammer - it hit about 6’ from the rod tip so things got a bit hectic and wet. I was very glad I had a big net. A2306F9F-6271-4EF9-BDC7-7D7D29AB9E47.thumb.jpeg.97a609b8fb521e6759503205f0b830b2.jpegNo scale, but only length-weight calculators suggest around 15 lbs. Definitely my biggest swimbait channel catfish. 

Edited by FishDr

• FishDr changed the title to Chunky Colorado Channel Cat

Thanks everyone!  I seem to get about a cat a year on swimbaits as an incidental catch, mostly on the Slammer.  I know the big channel cats like to hunt in the shallows at night and my belief is that they're the mystery fish that I sometimes hook and lose during the vampire shift.  They definitely make a distinctive sound when they attack a wakebait in the dark - more of a hissing slurp than the deeper largemouth gulp-splash.  I'd love to run some swimbaits in an area that has big flatheads hunting the shallows at night - that could be a lot of fun.