Lanciotti Psycho Trout 2 pc

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: Lanciotti Lures Psycho Trout 2 Pc 

The new style 2 pc Psycho Trout by Lanciotti Lures is a single joint resin Wake n Crank style bait, featuring a lexan bill and soft plastic tail. The new version has been refined with the help of Row Innovations, and comes in at 3.2 ounces and 6.75" in length. 

I start off with a medium-slow retrieve, which allows the bait to stay on the surface and display a waking-style action. This action is defined by a hard back and forth head hunt, which causes the rear of the back to swing back and forth, while rotating slightly. The rear of the bait gains further action due to a super soft tail, which kicks and sways in a natural action that disturbs the surface of the water. A defined wake is seen, as the head pushes water creating a bulge along with the V wake trailing the bait. As well, I noticed some resin clicking noise as the two halfs of the joint collide. 

I then slowed down to a crawl, and the Psycho Trout continued to maintain its head hunt and tail kick, albeit slightly more subtle and tight. Because the tail is oversized and floppy, it has a good bit of drag, which results in the tighter action. The crawl certainly produces a subtle action, with less of that defined wake, but both are still present. I had no issue maintaining this action at a snails pace, and noticed that the bait transitioned easily between the faster and slower retrieve. 

I then walked the bait, and found that slightly easier inputs produced the most consistent back and forth action. On harder hits, the bill tends to catch a bit too much water, and this results in less consistency. However, the easier rod tip bumps will get the Psycho Trout turning back and forth in 180 degree intervals without much practice. I was also able to increase my cadence and move the bait along at a quicker pace, so long as I was mindful of the power behind those short and fast bumps. The walk itself is full of action, but the presence on the surface is subtle, with minimal splash and commotion. 

Last, I cranked the Psycho Trout down. First, I utilized a medium retrieve, and then I also burned the bait. These faster retrieves cause the bait to crank down approx 3 ft. At both speeds, I noticed that the head hunt became even more aggressive, with a fast back and forth action with minimal roll. You can feel a thump all the way back to the rod, and that head action really throws the rear of the bait. Again, the soft tail provides a natural kicking action, and the overall action is as wide as the wake, if not even a little wider. I was able to burn the bait without any issue, and the Psycho Trout maintained stability, without and blowouts, leaning, or pulling to one side. 

I chose a Levaithan Heavy, paired with a Curado 300E and 20 lb Copoly. If you intend to only crank down, fluro would be a nice option, and you may get another foot or two of depth as well. Mono would certainly be fine as well, especially if you're working the bait close to the surface. Braid would also be fine, just be mindful of not overworking the bait on the walking retrieves. 

Thanks for joining, and I hope you enjoy the video! More reviews coming soon!