Hook and Split Ring Recommendations

rippinlipsal

Recently lost a fish I've been chasing for 3+ years due to hook and split ring issues.  Replaced the stock hooks and split rings with 1/0 Gamakatsu Round Bends and SPRO size 2 Power Split Rings. Bent out the front treble and bent the back split ring open and the hook came off. I don't care much about stickiness or hook-up ratios, I just need hooks that will not bend. As for the split rings/o-rings, I can't seem to find any that are thick enough that aren't absolutely huge. Any help is greatly appreciated.

For splits I don’t think you can go wrong with the Wolverine triple wrapped split rings. Illude puts them on his baits. I use them in the northeast for striped bass in the surf and have caught plenty of 20lb+ stripers without any issues of bending out. 

the underground split rings are great, otherwise i use owner hyperwire usually #5 or #6.  as for the hooks, if you're using a softer rod and lighter line the owner st-36 is a good hook, but will bend if you don't have your setup dialed in.  otherwise i use the owner st-56 which is a 3x hook and it is a brute and ain't getting bent out.  but they're definitely heavier so can have some impact on the action of some baits, glides specifically.  

Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up some Owner hyperwires and ST-56s and 46s. I went with the hyperwires mostly because I could buy them on Tackle Warehouse and only pay one shipping fee. Hopefully this time she'll be in the boat!

Underground supply co splits or owner ultra split rings are the way to go. Really really strong for the size. 

hooks it depends on the bait. For taller profile baits like a ufo or a 86 tempest I like to up size by one # and use a Gamakatsu 2x magic eye short shank ewg. 

as stated about if you are using too stout of a rod meant for jig hooks you are going to be bending out treble hooks. You can counter this a little bit by using a line that has a little bit more stretch and loosening your drag just a little bit to help your setup have a little bit of give. 

I use Owner #4 or #5 Hyperwire split rings on most things, triple coils on my Illude stuff. For hooks, I use a mix of Gammy 2x round bends and Owner St56. They’re both great hooks. The 2x Gammy I’ve probably used the most, and only really bend them if I try and bank flip a bigger fish. I fish straight braid on everything and have a seriously bad habit of constantly fiddling with my drag, and I don’t like to fight fish for very long. So I’ve been known to bend hooks out pretty easy.  

I have Mustad Triple grips on my first ever ufo I bought, and I’ve caught a lot of nice fish on it and not really missed too many bites. I fished the Gammy short shank EWG hooks in both reg and 2x and didn’t really care for them, they seemed really thick and I missed a lot of bites (seemingly, prob just suck at fishing).

as far as Owner ultra split rings… I bought a pack of #5s thinking I could use them to weight glides and I can’t get those things open to save my life haha. They are STOUT.