Tiger king

CG_Fishes

My roommate and I have been looking to get his old 14' StarCraft out for a few weeks now. We decided that since we were both off of work that today would be the day. Everything seemed to be going great. 4am wake up, pick up the boat and truck at 5:30, launch at 6:00. Boat hits the water and the motor won't run, starts but chokes out. 45 minutes later we find a leak in the fuel line. Nothing to fear though, we have an old 1980s 35lb thrust trolling motor that barely works. We decide to fish as far as we can with the trolling motor to see what we can do. I start the day hitting some small bass on a rock wall. Wasn't too long before we saw our first tiger surfacing. After 6 sightings I finally got her to swipe at an 8" walking bait. Unfortunately, she took the hook in the gill plate so I don't count as legit. A bit of a bittersweet first tiger catch. Quick pics and release, taped at 34"

Snapchat-475189815.thumb.jpg.633a8c45d6109f5f2ac53c88b58f72af.jpg

We keep fishing around, I put on my bone thunderhawk Cha Cha glide to fish around the weed beds. Not too long before another tiger blasts my bait 2 bumps into the retrieve, no hooks.

Keep working down the bank to another rock wall, got a follow from a 6+ largemouth and another 30+" tiger.

At this point I'm determined to catch one legit. I keep working down the bank, we come up on a point. I practically call my shot as 3 twitches into a cast on a shade line my bait gets T-boned by yet another tiger. After a fight that felt as if it lasted forever on my lighter rod we got her in the net. At this point the stoke was incredibly high. Got her out of the net and felt she needed a dip. My bait was stuck in the net so I attempted to hold her over the boat. One shake and she was gone. Bummed to have not gotten pics or measurements but happy she swam off healthy.

IMG_20220722_100054054.thumb.jpg.d81f2c129cd0bf83c1aaee93fcc585bb.jpg

IMG_20220722_100050090.thumb.jpg.5f8a325bfe44ed69069f59099b96c017.jpg

Continued to fish and the battery died on us, making me row the boat .5 miles back to the launch, smiling and laughing the whole day. Even when everything goes wrong, it all boils down to attitude, make your own luck

My roommate also caught his first bass ever so that's a big win in my book.

IMG_20220722_105648545.thumb.jpg.660bf7f05a0cd00545d29929faf4ebea.jpg

Needless to say, we will be going back ASAP.

Sweet catch! IMO hooking the hill plate should count as a legit catch. You found a fish and got it to commit! The fact it missed biting at the right spot (especially on a walking bait) doesn’t say anything about your accomplishment as an angler. Just my opinion…