Tips on glide bait retrieves please!

River_Pirate

Exactly what T Dot said works for me. I fish it at the slowest pace I can and still have the bait do its dance, and an occasional twich doesnt hurt. Especially when a fish is on it. Sometimes thats all it takes or a pause. Just get out there and throw it. When I first saw a glider I was like those are a little tardy what would hit those... then I bought on (an s-waver ) about 5 yrs ago and my opinion was changed. They work really good in cold water too... for me anyways. Im sure there are a few people that can 2nd that. They just catch fish. Big and small. You will gain confidence as you learn how the bait feels and looks when your fishing it. Thats what it was for me and stickin fish doesnt hurt either.

Best of luck!!!

Jeremy

I threw my Deps 250 numerous times over several trips and only had a couple of small follows, and oh boy, believe me, I was starting to go a little crazy, especially since there were guys sharing my water who were doing very well with that bait. Well, that patience paid off in the end. It finally all came together one weekend when I had a 8+ on a Friday afternoon in less than an hour and then got a 10.2 a couple of days later.

Slow and steady worked for me, but heck, it was just what the fish wanted at the time. You see guys catching them using all kinds of retrieves.

Most of my success has came after a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the bait, especially what cadences make it look natural. I personally fish really target oriented, so the glide bait thing has completely revolutionized my big bait fishing, something you can control horizontal movement with is huge, almost never do I just go down a bank fishing a big bait, but bridge pilings, points, or target fishing in general has suited me MUCH better. That's just me though. That being said I was tuning a new deps the other day and I wanted to give it a more natural swim, with a hint of a rocking action, something I noticed from another hugely successful glide bait. With my stock deps it had a typical left to right glide and I wasn't all that thrilled to fish it, but after tinkering with weight placement for multiple hours I finally settled on an action I liked. Slightly weight forward glide, with more of a hunting action that isn't so set in stone.

Multiple (2-3) mod-fast cranks kill the action and give it a much narrower "glide" literally 12'' in total left to right, turning on a maybe 30 degree axis forward and out, on the pause it will glide nearly twice as far as I found a stock deps to glide. Think of a trout chasing something or fleeing? I imagine a fish with 2-3 undulations creating thrust then a glide.....Not bending in half, going left, bending in half, going right. In short the weight forward concept gives the bait a more natural (in my opinion) swim.

I caught fish on this deps 250, when I didn't get any action at all on my previous 250? Coincidence? Possibly. Even giant smallies have shown a liking to the new bait and tune, already botched one that would have easily been a PB last week on it.

Anyways..... :lol:

Condensed version: Learn the bait, its in's its out's, make it look good in your opinion and go fish. I have never been a fan of a stable retrieve, and my deps tactics are gonna seem stupid and foreign to some, but hey, whatever gives you confidence right?

Thank you all for the responses, clearly I need to put down my go to baits and work the glides that I have! I have been pounding them on a couple of baits and I know I should fish the glides when the bites is hot but I get addicted to the action and just haven't been able to. I will work on this LOL

Thanks again!

Dan....I may have passed you in swimbaits lol Lots of custom stuff and more on the way!

Sounds like your doing fine without them!

When i had a deps i only threw it a couple times , just wasn't really a fan of it . Ive been throwing brocks 10" glide for almost a year now and it is sick ! i work my reel suuuuper slow moving the handle 1/10th of a turn and mainly dead stickin it . Although i would say my favorite technique is to give it a full turn of the handle to get it to dart one way and than the tiniest nudge of the handle to get just the head to turn . Basically looks like the trout is turning his head only not the whole body in the other direction . Hope that makes sense :lol: anyways just my .02

When i had a deps i only threw it a couple times , just wasn't really a fan of it . Ive been throwing brocks 10" glide for almost a year now and it is sick ! i work my reel suuuuper slow moving the handle 1/10th of a turn and mainly dead stickin it . Although i would say my favorite technique is to give it a full turn of the handle to get it to dart one way and than the tiniest nudge of the handle to get just the head to turn . Basically looks like the trout is turning his head only not the whole body in the other direction . Hope that makes sense :lol: anyways just my .02

I have some of Brock's glides and need all the input on technique I can get! THANK YOU!

When I first saw a glider I was like those are a little tardy what would hit those... then I bought on (an s-waver ) about 5 yrs ago and my opinion was changed. They work really good in cold water too... for me anyways. Im sure there are a few people that can 2nd that. They just catch fish. Big and small. You will gain confidence as you learn how the bait feels and looks when your fishing it. Thats what it was for me and stickin fish doesnt hurt either.

Best of luck!!!

Jeremy

we had the swaver when they first came out, but other baits over shadowed these things. you are correct, these produce fish in the cold water too! we have caught march / april fish here in the midwest.

:)