Looking for new rod blanks??

Inkedup fishing

I wanted to see if the you guys new of a good place with a good rep for blanks. I had bought some from a guy a couple years ago and they were good ehh they were okay! But I'm looking for 3 blanks 1 for 1 to 5 oz range, 1 for 3 to 10 oz range and one for heavier. 

I'm not looking for broom sticks I'm looking for quality  links for soft baits. Possibly 1 for glides to for 2 to 8 range. 

Also if anyone knows a good place to get rod hardware I would be interested in that to it would be great if I could get it all in a one stop!

Thank you SU for always being a big help!!

I'd give North Fork composites a look for blanks, thats where I've ordered mine from.  They do take their time shipping, so don't expect it fast as they are not a retailer but a manufacturer. Sometimes the ship within a few days of ordering, but also seen it take months. They'll ship partial orders too, so sometimes you get it spread out and things trickle in, but their stuff is quality and been worth the wait.  Doesn't always take long though, sometimes they are pretty fast. Their power rating is weird so just pay attention more to what the line and lure rating is.  It's Gary Loomis blank manufacturing company, some of the finest built sticks out there and they run sales a lot, so if you play your cards right, you can get good deals on them. Never built on any of their blanks that beefy, more conventional stuff, but they are top notch. I don't think you could find a better blank. Kistler used them for awhile even up in to their Zbone line ($500+ rods). Also Leviathan uses them too. I've built on the Lmx Xray, HM, and delta and all have turned out sick. I have some IM blanks that aren't built, but I had to do a double take at my invoice when i picked them up because I felt like i was holding an HM or Xray. Fished the HM side buy side with and NRX in the same length and action all last week for smallmouth on mille lacs and that blank is right up there with the best of the best blanks. I didn't find the nrx to be any more sensitive. The kistler Zbones i have are built on the northfork blanks too and between the zbone, NRX, Legend Extreme, dobyns champion extreme (havent fished an xtasy), I'd give the zbone the nod as the most crisp and sensitive. And i believe those sticks were using the NFC Hm blank, not even the Xray which is the scrimless high modulus fiber, so its even lighter without the scrim layers.  I have also used a rod built on a rainshadow blank thats pretty slick. 

Mudhole is a pretty well know place to get components, I've also used Getbitoutdoors quite a bit when mudhole is out of stock on what I need or I'm look for something in the Alps brand.  Fuji K guides with alconite ring are really quality high preforming ones that are really hard to beat for the money.  Not much more than the cheap stuff, preform about like the most expensive stuff.

2 hours ago, morgantm16 said:

I'd give North Fork composites a look for blanks, thats where I've ordered mine from.  They do take their time shipping, so don't expect it fast as they are not a retailer but a manufacturer. Sometimes the ship within a few days of ordering, but also seen it take months. They'll ship partial orders too, so sometimes you get it spread out and things trickle in, but their stuff is quality and been worth the wait.  Doesn't always take long though, sometimes they are pretty fast. Their power rating is weird so just pay attention more to what the line and lure rating is.  It's Gary Loomis blank manufacturing company, some of the finest built sticks out there and they run sales a lot, so if you play your cards right, you can get good deals on them. Never built on any of their blanks that beefy, more conventional stuff, but they are top notch. I don't think you could find a better blank. Kistler used them for awhile even up in to their Zbone line ($500+ rods). Also Leviathan uses them too. I've built on the Lmx Xray, HM, and delta and all have turned out sick. I have some IM blanks that aren't built, but I had to do a double take at my invoice when i picked them up because I felt like i was holding an HM or Xray. Fished the HM side buy side with and NRX in the same length and action all last week for smallmouth on mille lacs and that blank is right up there with the best of the best blanks. I didn't find the nrx to be any more sensitive. The kistler Zbones i have are built on the northfork blanks too and between the zbone, NRX, Legend Extreme, dobyns champion extreme (havent fished an xtasy), I'd give the zbone the nod as the most crisp and sensitive. And i believe those sticks were using the NFC Hm blank, not even the Xray which is the scrimless high modulus fiber, so its even lighter without the scrim layers.  I have also used a rod built on a rainshadow blank thats pretty slick. 

Mudhole is a pretty well know place to get components, I've also used Getbitoutdoors quite a bit when mudhole is out of stock on what I need or I'm look for something in the Alps brand.  Fuji K guides with alconite ring are really quality high preforming ones that are really hard to beat for the money.  Not much more than the cheap stuff, preform about like the most expensive stuff.

Thanks brother! That's a big help I was using mud hole alot but alot of the time they do not have what I am looking for. If they take a while it's cool these are going to be winter projects like the last ones. I'm just so up in the air on what type of blank I want . 

NFC makes good swimbait blanks, but so do plenty of others. MHX, Phoenix, United Composites, Rainshadow, Point Blank, etc. all make good quality blanks.

Sensitivity is irrelevant imo…it’s a swimbait rod, you just don’t need NRX-level sensitivity. You need durability and resilience so the rod doesn’t blow up on you, which comes from intermediate modulus blanks or even graphite/glass blends. High modulus blanks are great for finesse or bottom contact techniques but the trade off is that they can be brittle and more prone to breaking. 

I personally fish and wrap phenix ultra swimbait/black diamonds

I use the usb 711ml/mh for 1-4 ish ounce

usbc 800h for the 4-8 oz, best 250 rod in my opinion

and the psw 909xhj with 6 inches off the butt for the 8 plus ounce stuff

not a horrble pricepoint, sensitive and ive put my set through hell for 5 plus years

I should've also mentioned the Point Blanks, very fine sticks. Very similar to the NFC Xray, hm scrimless blank. Al Jackson had his hand in helping design both blanks, constructed very similarly. 

I wouldn't discount sensitivity and say its irrelevant if you're considering soft baits though.... some of those can be really light bites or trying to detect them through cover. Wakes or glides i would agree it to be less important when you're probably going to watch them eat it.  Maybe not quite the need for the most top of the line blank, as mentioned High modulus blanks tend to be more brittle, but i wouldn't want something dead in the hand. MHX blanks have just been okay for me.... little heavy not the most sensitive and had a high modulus mhx blank break on about a 12" fish and wacky rig. 

I have a buddy that has some rods built on Tiapan blanks that he seems to like well enough, I haven't looked into those too hard myself though.

3 hours ago, jakevlastnik said:

I personally fish and wrap phenix ultra swimbait/black diamonds

I use the usb 711ml/mh for 1-4 ish ounce

usbc 800h for the 4-8 oz, best 250 rod in my opinion

and the psw 909xhj with 6 inches off the butt for the 8 plus ounce stuff

not a horrble pricepoint, sensitive and ive put my set through hell for 5 plus years

I haven't tried the phenix  blanks but have heard great things about them and keep hearing it. I honestly think those are probably going to be one or two of my choice. I want to try a couple brands I never tried before. This winter I want to make the 4 rods at minamum but honestly if the wife dnt fi d out I want to make a whole new fleet of rods!!! 

Are the phenix rods you are talking abouton the stiffer side or do they have a good parabolic bend to them with a good back bone?? I dnt want broom sticks if you know what I mean.

Edited by Inkedup fishing

1 hour ago, morgantm16 said:

I should've also mentioned the Point Blanks, very fine sticks. Very similar to the NFC Xray, hm scrimless blank. Al Jackson had his hand in helping design both blanks, constructed very similarly. 

I wouldn't discount sensitivity and say its irrelevant if you're considering soft baits though.... some of those can be really light bites or trying to detect them through cover. Wakes or glides i would agree it to be less important when you're probably going to watch them eat it.  Maybe not quite the need for the most top of the line blank, as mentioned High modulus blanks tend to be more brittle, but i wouldn't want something dead in the hand. MHX blanks have just been okay for me.... little heavy not the most sensitive and had a high modulus mhx blank break on about a 12" fish and wacky rig. 

I have a buddy that has some rods built on Tiapan blanks that he seems to like well enough, I haven't looked into those too hard myself though.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I dnt need or want for that matter a super high end blank for the softy baits. But for my glides, the other half of my fleet of rods I want something that is going to give me some feel in the water. I want to be able to detect cover, grass, a swipe, whatever else too. I've had my fair share of high end carbon rods broke alot of them and stopped using the rest. What I need is the knowledge and experience that all you guys have had with all these difrent rods to help choose this year's selection. I'm in need of at least 8 rods 4 more then the wife knows about lol!

Thrasher blanks have worked great for a variety of swimbait rods for me. American made, great price point, several finish options.  Check out Raw 83 and 84.  Sweet action for hardbaits. If you want broom handle, the 6 power has it. 

I've used a handful of phenix blanks, but their ratings are kind of whack it you ask me. Customer service and ordering process for wholesale customers has been a joke. Obviously their ultra swimbait line is well known, but their M1 inshore line also has a few great swimbait options. My personal soft bait rod is an M1 7'7".

There are several Batson blanks that I'll always keep around.  I used their blanks on ~80% of my rod build. Great service, huge selection. Check out a sw967 for hard baits 1-5oz, or sw968 for 3-8oz.

1 hour ago, jthod said:

Thrasher blanks have worked great for a variety of swimbait rods for me. American made, great price point, several finish options.  Check out Raw 83 and 84.  Sweet action for hardbaits. If you want broom handle, the 6 power has it. 

I've used a handful of phenix blanks, but their ratings are kind of whack it you ask me. Customer service and ordering process for wholesale customers has been a joke. Obviously their ultra swimbait line is well known, but their M1 inshore line also has a few great swimbait options. My personal soft bait rod is an M1 7'7".

There are several Batson blanks that I'll always keep around.  I used their blanks on ~80% of my rod build. Great service, huge selection. Check out a sw967 for hard baits 1-5oz, or sw968 for 3-8oz.

Awsome!! That's something I'm going to check out right now I have heard of these and have been told to check these out once or twice and I think it's time to do so!!

• 10 months later...