Improving a fishery…..

Shane Snell

OK, so I have access to a private airport pond. This pond produces pretty solid size bass. It’s a place I have fished in the past and l, actually posted a couple fish on SU, from that pond. I have become friends with the owner and, he was excited to learn that there are bass in it. The pond itself does not have much in the way of underwater cover, except for at the banks. Long story short, this guy wants to dump a bunch of his rich guy money into the pond, to make it a better fishery.

I wanted to get with you guys and see what you suggest to do to the pond. The color of the water is like coffee with creamer in it. It’s dirty. His goal is to put in a solar powered 4 aerator/ pump system, to create some current and oxygen. He is working with a biologist from Oregon State University, to clear up the water. We have been putting a bunch of enzymes in and, a natural compound that clears up the water. He is going to stock it with more bluegill and once it’s cleared up, he would like to put trout in it. I have built about 10 spider blocks to drop into the pond. I have a bunch of riprap style rock, a ton (literally) of brick. He’s going to order about 20 yards of gravel to build a big gravel bar. We are also building some homemade floating docks. Not for people use, just for covering concealment for the bass. Any suggestions on what to add to the fishery, would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

Edited by Shane Snell