Kayak or two man boat?

professorbass

Hey so I am in the market for a new kayak or a two man. I currently have a perception pescador 12 footer.

I am looking for a new rig that has some sort of pedal/motor system, a good seat that sits up high, and has enough stability for me to stand up to fish. I am 5 foot 10 and 210. Im transitioning from fishing big ponds and smaller rivers to lakes and having to adjust with paddles after every cast is getting old. I really would like a two man but the problem is that I have a car and i am not sure how loading one of these on my kayak rack would be. Hell even if it would not be bad I wouldnt want to catch a battery to the face haha. My budget all in $1500.

Coleman crawdad all day. 

easily modified to any build liking, single set, double set, bow mount TM, rear mount TM, electric motor, etc, easy to outfit and easy to build 

I have two of them, one set up for solo fishing and one set up for two adults. 

I have a whole build thread posted here if you do a search, I think all in it was $2K but it’s been some of the best $ I’ve spent fishing related, you could easily build it for way less with different electronics/motors 

as far as putting it on the roof , it’s doable, I think the boat empty is like 120/140 Lbs 

super stable, I’m 300lbs and I stand in mind all the time, 95% of my fishing is done standing up.

it’s lighter than the pelicans and the I like the deeper sides where the pelican you’re sitting/standing kind of high up 

I’ve fished out of a Hobie outback for 2 years and it’s been great BUT it’s a commitment to load it on my truck, set it up and the lake and then putting it back on the truck. 

it’s served my well for 2 years and has taken me to spots that boat can’t get to but I’m know looking for a small boat. 

All my gear would be on the boat - back it down the ramp, park the truck and go fishing. 

get a mall boat

09C6972D-D01D-4427-8447-C9175B16C5E4.jpeg

Edited by Jim137a

19 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

I’ve fished out of a Hobie outback for 2 years and it’s been great BUT it’s a commitment to load it on my truck, set it up and the lake and then putting it back on the truck. 

it’s served my well for 2 years and has taken me to spots that boat can’t get to but I’m know looking for a small boat. 

All my gear would be on the boat - back it down the ramp, park the truck and go fishing. 

get a mall boat

Seconded. Ive been in a Native Titan since 2018 and feel the same way. It’s been wonderful and I’m super thankful to have it, but I’m buying a full size boat this fall because I’m tired of the inherent limitations of a kayak.

Pedal kayaks very quickly get into a size and weight class that are unreasonable to cartop. Im a strong dude and can theoretically put my 100lb+ Titan on the roof of my Jeep, but it’s unwieldy and awful. So off I go to buy a trailer for it and suddenly lose a ton of the benefits of a kayak because I can only launch at boat ramps with trailer parking anyway. See what I mean?

If you’re gonna need a trailer either way I’d get a small boat so you at least enjoy the benefits of the boat over a kayak.

11 hours ago, ikaika said:

Seconded. Ive been in a Native Titan since 2018 and feel the same way. It’s been wonderful and I’m super thankful to have it, but I’m buying a full size boat this fall because I’m tired of the inherent limitations of a kayak.

Pedal kayaks very quickly get into a size and weight class that are unreasonable to cartop. Im a strong dude and can theoretically put my 100lb+ Titan on the roof of my Jeep, but it’s unwieldy and awful. So off I go to buy a trailer for it and suddenly lose a ton of the benefits of a kayak because I can only launch at boat ramps with trailer parking anyway. See what I mean?

If you’re gonna need a trailer either way I’d get a small boat so you at least enjoy the benefits of the boat over a kayak.

How do you like the native? someone around me has one for sale.

16 hours ago, professorbass said:

The pelicans look good but I dont know how strong they would hold up because they are made from two pieces.

look at phoenix pichner on insta or his YT at all around fishing he has a pelican boat and it looks pretty good and stable. jimmy vsop in insta also fishes out of one but he doesnt have any c2c 

2 hours ago, professorbass said:

How do you like the native? someone around me has one for sale.

Overall it’s very good. Not the fastest hull around but the 10.5 has crazy good maneuverability so it excels at fishing around cover and docks. The trade off is that tracking on the short hull isn’t great and will require near constant steering input while you’re moving from spot to spot. Plastic steering handle is not strong enough and I upgraded mine to a machined aluminum one.

I max out around 4mph and can comfortably cruise around 3.5mph. Anything faster and the nose is just plowing water and you’re fighting a losing battle.

Plastic is extremely tough, I beat the hell out of mine and have some scrapes on it but no structural issues whatsoever. It’s thick and heavy, so you 100% must have landing gear or you’re going to be miserable moving it around on land.

The drive can be a bit finicky in heavy grass; you’re not going to chop your way through anything but you can generally glide through it without spinning the prop and come through cleanly.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:43 PM, ikaika said:

I agree with this. I car top a hobie pro angler 12 but I agree that you need to be pretty strong to deal with cartopping the big pedal drive fishing kayaks at the end of a day pedaling around. So you would be thinking trailer, defeating many of the benefits of kayak.

I still prefer a kayak at this point. But I think you have to use the kayak in part cause you like the kayak part of it.  I spend 10 to 30 percent of the time pedaling around just enjoying that part of it and as a way to get exercise (and not pay for gas). I just got the kayak last year so maybe it will get old and I’ll start thinking boat. If you are using it strictly for fishing and don’t care about the kayak part of it (exercise and enjoy some part of kayaking) and the fact that you don’t have to buy gas for it, then I’d recommend small boat and trailer. 

17 minutes ago, Jordan B said:

I agree with this. I car top a hobie pro angler 12 but I agree that you need to be pretty strong to deal with cartopping the big pedal drive fishing kayaks at the end of a day pedaling around. So you would be thinking trailer, defeating many of the benefits of kayak.

I still prefer a kayak at this point. But I think you have to use the kayak in part cause you like the kayak part of it.  I spend 10 to 30 percent of the time pedaling around just enjoying that part of it and as a way to get exercise (and not pay for gas). I just got the kayak last year so maybe it will get old and I’ll start thinking boat. If you are using it strictly for fishing and don’t care about the kayak part of it (exercise and enjoy some part of kayaking) and the fact that you don’t have to buy gas for it, then I’d recommend small boat and trailer. 

I guess small plastic boat would be most likely running a troller motor on a battery so gas is likely not a concern. Ignore those comments.