Anteres DC or Conquest 201 DC

717liprippers

Looking to grab one of the 2 from digitaka.....Ive never really been a fan of round reels but seem that everyone sells their Anteres. Can anyone give me some insight on why? If anyone has both, are you just using them for different baits because of the difference in ratios? Notice alot of people who sell them also prefer the conquest dc for trade. I just dont want to get the round reel and not be able to enjoy it 

That’s all preference. I have both Conquest 200 dc and the Antares DC MD. I use them for two very different things. Not a huge fan round reels, but the conquest 200 is pretty small. Of course a reel that is solid metal is gonna reel more robust than a reel that has some plastic on it. But internally the Antares MD is a beast. But that’s just my opinion. 

I think people misuse that Antares MD sometimes. I find the best use with that reel is with 30-40 pound braid and fishing lures under 2oz. It bombs smaller topwaters and cranks. I used it for 3 weeks in South America and caught countless fish on it. I have never casted further with a reel when using that braid to leader combo on the Antares. I do still use it for my under 3oz glides with fluoro. Yes it isn’t that smooth for the price, but it’s probably the best baitcasting reel for optimal casting distance.

It just depends on personal preference really. Do you like round reels or low pro? I own both and like the Antares much more. It's extremely smooth, powerful as hell, casts a mile and looks sexy(to me). 

Even though the Calcutta has some of those features as well, it just doesn't feel as good in my hands and doesn't cast as far with the same line and baits as the Antares. IMO, you can't go won't with either. 

1 minute ago, 717liprippers said:

@japanesebassman good info as well, however i do not need it for the casting distance. usually im not chucking the heavier stuff, im throwing to a target just thought then certain baits the anteres will be too fast of a ratio 

target casting with the Antares is awesome because of the higher gear ratio. i’d totally recommend if it’s for that. I’d say, look at the antares as more of a power fishing reel, and the calcutta as a slower, more methodical, but smoother reel.

I don't have an antares but I do have the conquest DC 201 and it is tiny and awesome. They make it in higher gear ratios now - I got one that is something like 30 inches per turn and I believe there is one with 33 IPT so that's on par with a very high gear ratio.

19 minutes ago, 717liprippers said:

@Dink whisperer thats my dilemma, is because I am not a fan of round reels but reading all over the forum it seems like some didn't like them until they kept fishing with them, i much prefer the low profile feel, it just feels "right"

I used to not be a fan round reels too but the round reels that are coming out now are so small. It's crazy. I have pretty small hands and I can palm my conquest just fine.