Dobyns 794,795,806 and 867

J at Bay

Looking for recommendation to see if the rods i posted would cover the spectrum of swim/glidebait fishing. i currently have the 795 champ i use for bull shad fishing grass on TN River. 

Baits I have or want to fish. would include 

Swaver168, Tiny Klash,Chad shad,Deps 175,Arashi Glide,Bull Shad and Gill,Klash 9 and Deps 250. just getting into Glide/swimbait game so every bit of advice/experince will help Thanks

36 minutes ago, bassfiend72 said:

There is pages and pages of great info your looking for. Search.  Every rod you mention has been covered  in detail. Search feature!!!!!!

Sorry!!!!!!  i have been searching but couldn't really find all the info i was looking for.

7 hours ago, chevro1et said:

thank you that answered my question about the 867.  Anyone know how the 806 compares to 795 specially for the k9. i have searched and watched videos. dream catchers youtube   touches on the 806 but is all for the 795. i reached out to him and just got a quick short reply nothing in depth. i have a k9 coming in i bought off here so i guess i can give it a shot on the 795 when it gets here. there is no one around me that has these rods in stock so hard to get an idea. 

16 minutes ago, Jordan B said:

807 is soft bait rod. I’d cut 794 for 807. 

i don't own any jig hook swimbaits other than the osprey that i throw on a Gloomis conquest 905 and handles it perfect but thank you for your reply! 

For the Swaver 168 I found the Dobyns Champion XP cranking rod 806 launched the 168 effortlessly. It is designed for the 10XD and rated up to 2 OZ. Never had to deal with a large fish, but caught many  spots with it at New Melones. Might be a consideration for your smaller treble baits.

2 hours ago, J at Bay said:

thank you that answered my question about the 867.  Anyone know how the 806 compares to 795 specially for the k9. i have searched and watched videos. dream catchers youtube   touches on the 806 but is all for the 795. i reached out to him and just got a quick short reply nothing in depth. i have a k9 coming in i bought off here so i guess i can give it a shot on the 795 when it gets here. there is no one around me that has these rods in stock so hard to get an idea. 

I'm sure you could throw a K9 on the 795. But, I usually switch from the 795 to the 806 at around 2.5 oz. 

19 minutes ago, pschueller said:

I'm sure you could throw a K9 on the 795. But, I usually switch from the 795 to the 806 at around 2.5 oz. 

Same, K9 seems a little overkill for the 795 but it can definitely fish it. 806 is a perfect budget rod for a K9 IMO

2 hours ago, pschueller said:

2 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

Same, K9 seems a little overkill for the 795 but it can definitely fish it. 806 is a perfect budget rod for a K9 IMO

thanks guys that deff helps. i can see the 2.5 being an issue. it seems to be ok for a arashi but under powered.  do you think the 795 is a good option for the tinyklash?

3 hours ago, RSL6 said:

For the Swaver 168 I found the Dobyns Champion XP cranking rod 806 launched the 168 effortlessly. It is designed for the 10XD and rated up to 2 OZ. Never had to deal with a large fish, but caught many  spots with it at New Melones. Might be a consideration for your smaller treble baits.

never thought ab that i do have that rod to throw big crank baits wit a tranx 300 on it i will get that a shot. thanks for the recommendation 

I have a Fury 795 and Champ 867. Absolutely love my Fury for baits 1-3oz. The 867 is great for slinging hard baits in that Deps 250 size range but is a large step up from the 795. It’s a big rod and not very ideal fishing from a small kayak or casting baits under 2oz imo. I would look into an 806 if you want something in the middle.

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

I have a Fury 795 and Champ 867. Absolutely love my Fury for baits 1-3oz. The 867 is great for slinging hard baits in that Deps 250 size range but is a large step up from the 795. It’s a big rod and not very ideal fishing from a small kayak or casting baits under 2oz imo. I would look into an 806 if you want something in the middle.

awesome thanks for the info 

On 8/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, pschueller said:

do you feel they 795 is the best rod for the tiny klash?