Calico Triple Trout / rant

brad805

Fishing in tight on the boilers with the salt triple trout has produced frequently for me. A well placed cast can result in a nice fish. I am Enjoying learning the 7” TT for these fish, finding that they really eat it in ambush, and not as willingly suspended in open water (unless going completely dumb). My best success has come around heavy cover, no surprise, or up over those shelves with eel grass inside fingers. The 5” salt  stubby has produced plenty of fish suspended and feeding in 60’ of water, even burning it on the surface. I know from diving and observing these fish that the bigger model fish stay close to their caves etc, so drawing them up and out has to be worth their time when speaking in calories. Hence the 7”. Still have not got one on a slow sink (dead stick), as I don’t rightly know how to do that yet. Not much for fresh water so this is still a learning curve for me. Submit any experience or input if you feel inclined. 

E3A30BFD-79F2-4ED4-A0DF-7214DDCE3478.jpeg

77430098-869A-47A4-A2BC-94A651BDA5C7.jpeg

I haven’t had too much time with the triple trout unfortunately but I can definitely vouch for the bigger calicos hunkering in their caves/kelp. I fish the surface iron a lot and generally catch the larger models, compared to small soft plastics.  Definitely the bigger the bait, the bigger the chance of hooking a quality fish. Fishing tight to boilers, I like throwing the 9” mc Viejos on a 2oz warbaits head. Again, justifying the larger bait, larger fish. I fish the saltwater bass series and I always try to target reefs and rocks. Side scan does wonders to position you right where you need to be. If your 50 ft off the rock, you’ll either get a rockfish or nothing. The big ones hold tight on reefs as well

• 3 weeks later...