Megabass Musky Rod

Atroit

Hi Everyone, 

Getting more serious about hunting Musky and I'm looking for a dedicated rod. Coming from fly fishing, I have no qualms about using 4 piece rod and the Megabass Valkyrie VKC-80XXH-4 has caught my eye (. Anyone here have experience with this rod? I know it's not the conventional choice for a Musky Stick but I'm hoping it'll work out. Appreciate and thoughts and comments about this. 

Cheers from Ottawa 

We don't have musky here in california, but I have caught bass up to 9lbs on it so far. Definitely has the power to handle baits up to 8oz and to handle any bass I hope to run into. According to the description megabass gave, it was built to handle large game fish like barramundi, arapaima, and nile perch. 

it depends what type of baits your going to throw. if your going to throw only bass swimbaits  or buck tails and smaller baits for musky you should be fine with a heavy or extra heavy. but if you will also throw bigger more traditional baits with musky like big gliders, full sized medusas  and other baits you should probably go with something like one of these  megabass  ts destoyers , tenchijin,king of baccarat or hunting weapon. the hook up tackle has them in stock rn, also if you watch any of oliver ngy's musky/pike videos before he was with 13 fishing he is using a ts destroyer tenchijin.

I have yet to land a fish with these rods that being the 7 ft 11 in extra heavy and the 8-footer. They both have good qualities for sure packing down is one of them because I do traveling from time to time but I prefer the 7 ft 11 in as pretty much my all-around swimbait Rod as I don't throw very heavy Plastics for instance I generally only throw 68 specials but I throw anything up to 4.5 oz for treble hooks on that particular rod go for it they're very enjoyable and look super bad a**

• 3 weeks later...

How serious are you going to get into musky fishing?

Are you fishing from a boat or the shore?

Are you using bass lures or will you be using musky lures?

Any rod can catch a musky, ND Yak Angler catches them all the time on a 6'6" medium heavy st croix on his YouTube.

If you are really going to target trophy musky, especially from a boat, you should get into a real musky rod. Minimum of 9' long, fast action, with the backbone to drive the hooks through their hard mouths.