Braid or fluorocarbon

Jay

I was using spider line braid and had a break off while casting. It broke with around 10ft of braid still attached to the lure, which was a blackdog shellcracker G2. I have no idea why maybe a bad batch. Later on in the day I broke off another large amout of line while trying to pull out. After that incedent I started throwing #20 P-Line CXX. The only braid I use now is Sunline FX2 have yet to have it brake off even flipping plastics with a 3/4 oz weight into thick cat tails.

thats why, spider wire sucks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued what knot do you use to tie your leader my man? I only know a few knot and am getting down some news ones. Knot to knot though I only know the surgeon knot.

He ties a modified Albright, I know because he taught me how to do it :lol:

have to learn it then

I've throw Braid for a good while now I use 65lb 8strand powerpro or samurai

When I do fish Floro I fish black water because it has some stretch to it, most of the time I'm fishing copolymer leaders

My connection knot is a bob sands or this modified Albright type thing that an izor line rep taught me

I throw triple trouts to the deps 250 and larger

No cast offs so far did lose a bait to some underwater structure

I'm intrigued what knot do you use to tie your leader my man? I only know a few knot and am getting down some news ones. Knot to knot though I only know the surgeon knot.

He ties a modified Albright, I know because he taught me how to do it :lol:

have to learn it then

albright using up to 15-18 wraps depending on diameter of the leader. This actually protects the leader material from being frayed when running them through the guides.

Even though i do love using braid to leader for baits up to 4oz, anything bigger, i would suggest using straight mono / Flouro / Copoly, whatever you may prefer.

albright using up to 15-18 wraps depending on diameter of the leader. This actually protects the leader material from being frayed when running them through the guides.

Even though i do love using braid to leader for baits up to 4oz, anything bigger, i would suggest using straight mono / Flouro / Copoly, whatever you may prefer.

I definitely prefer fluorocarbon then straight mono I just feel more confident casting it. I'm not throwing anything too big right now heaviest is definitely 8" hudds. Copolymer is alright to definitely don't have any problems with it. I love the braid but will try putting a fluorocarbon leader definitely gonna go with the horse hair p line 25 lbs then.

I'm over throwing straight braid after losing a hudd when the line snapped I'm just done with it for swimbaits. I attached a leader of maxima mono and felt way better casting that with just the braid.

Well it's final I'm putting a mono leader on the braid I'm gonna use the pline cxx 25 lb. I'm tired of snapping off hudds with braid. I definitely don't mind throwing braid for the lighter swimbaits. But for now I tied some mono leader to the braid and had absolutely no issues.

• 2 months later...

Since making the switch over to fishing swimbaits back in September, I've simply fished with the same specs I use for salt fishing... In salt, I use a 30# toro tamer braid (which will get switched out to 50# fx2) with 15# fluoro. I throw irons in the 4/4.5oz range as well as 10oz weights that have, thankfully, never been casted off or snapped during a hookset. Having a couple hundred feet of line out of line with little to no stretch doesn't seem to affect my hookset. I'm sure I've missed countless fish by ripping the hooks out...But I've also landed a lot of fish, anywhere from dinks to 20+lb bluefin.. Mostly horsing the fish over the rail...I'm still learning the dynamics of swimbait bass fishing, but I feel a lot translates over from both the FW & SW side of things.

My swimbait setup (same rod I use for salt) has 40# powerpro with a 15#-25# Seaguar Premiere fluoro leader... depending on what I'm chucking. The only times I've lost a lure in fw have been once from hanging it up on a tree and twice from the hooks fouling my braid and being too lazy to retie. Haven't had the opportunity to fight/land anything notable just yet, but I will in time.

Since learning to fish ages ago using straight mono, after making the switch to the braid/fluoro combo, I've never looked back. Ain't no other way way to figure it out besides spooling your reels up and figuring it out for yourself.

Over the last 7 years I believe I have tried about every knot for the braid to fluoro connection: double uni, Alberto, Albright, reverse Albright, Bimini, Sebile, etc with varying levels of success. The last 2 years I have used nothing but the GT knot and have not had a single failure. You can google instructions. Not very easy to tie but you end up with kind of a "Chinese finger" around the flour that is about 100% strength and very small. Try tying a rubber band to the end of the braid and setting it up so you have tension on the braid before you start the weaving step. Sorry but its really hard to describe in words-check the youtube instructions. I believe it is the perfect knot for this. I've switched some friends to this and they are also happy with the results.

I think if youre using braid and have your reel dialed in and focus on thumb placement you will be less susceptible to losing baits. Ive lost 3 6" bbz's cause of a backlash and the braid cut into its self.

two of the baits are in the same area lol

ive always thrown them on flouro and mono. I used to throw jigs with braid and a couple feet of flouro leader, but found that you are increasing your chance of a snapped line on the hookset with two line connections instead of just one, its risky but it can be done with the right knots.

• 1 month later...

I have been using 20# CXX with most of my baits. But I raise the question for weedless baits like the hudd 6" and 68. I have hooked many fish on the weedless shad/minnow using braid but also 20# CXX. But with the larger weedless baits, would you still go mono or switch it up to straight braid? I have been throwing them on CXX but is braid a better option?