Rod floaters???

evilcatfish

Do any of you guys use any kind of flotation/tether on your rods when out on the water in case they go overboard? I know Blakemore makes some floats but they look bulky like they would get in the way.

Oh, and the reason I ask is that this past Friday while doing some river smallmouth fishing my canoe hit a submerged rock and flipped and while my tackle bag and soft side cooler were tied in my rods were not. I held tight to the LDC I was using but my Daiwa PX Type R/Phenix combo (used this to toss a Hudd Grass Minnow) sank like a rock. After getting the canoe situated on a gravel bar I tried making some surface dives but the current must have got the rod. Even went back the next day hoping to find it stuck in a root wad or something downstream but nada. I'd had close calls before but losing this rod made me sick and kinda hurt my Holiday weekend.

PS sorry for the sob story

Obviously rod leashes work and are the most old school solution to the problem. There are also the rod floats that zip tie onto the rod in front of your reels. These are made of pool noodle material. They are bulky but work.

Then the newest thing in the kayak community back in the South East are Overboard Rods. They have a production line or you can custom order a rod to your specs. The handles themselves are made of a floating material. Great idea if you ask me. I don't own any, but I have tried a few different models. They were sensitive and felt good in the hands. The handles were slightly larger in diameter than a standard rod but that was to achieve enough floatation to float the rod and reel. They are made by a company out of Jacksonville Florida and sponsored most of our kayak tournaments.

You can buy those pool "noodles" and cut them into pieces that will fit on the handle and/or above the reel. Slit them down on one side. You may need to carve out some of the middle if you put it on a full cork handle. Then use an electrical cord velcro strap to wrap around the middle so it wouldn't pop off when it plunges.

It's a cheap/easy method. Maybe not 100% full proof but just an idea for you to consider.

Obviously rod leashes work and are the most old school solution to the problem. There are also the rod floats that zip tie onto the rod in front of your reels. These are made of pool noodle material. They are bulky but work.

Must have been typing at the same time. I started it and then walked away. Sorry for duplicating the idea..lol.

Sorry to hear about the lost rods - keep track of the water levels on the USGS water site and the moment it starts to go down, take another run down the river - your rod is likely hung up under a rock or in some brush downstream and you might just get lucky.

Beyond that, I'd suggest getting some kind of lock or rod strap. I have fashioned some rod holders/locks out of PVC for my 'toon that are fairly secure, and you could likely find something similar for a kayak.

Oh, and with a lost rig, I guess I'll be in the market for a new one. Instead of buying a similar standard bass rod/reel I think I might as well just get another swimbait setup. Maybe the loss was an omen from God saying "you shouldn't have been throwing grass minnows and finesse jigs anyway, big baits only"