Top Banana Rats

Jim137a

Scored a few wood rats for myself and a few for gifts for some friends to test out. 

These hand carved wood rats from @topbananalures on IG have an incredible wake and that clack you can only get from wood. 

Unfortunately, I’ve really only had a chance to test swim them and they definitely wake beautifully, track straight and have a nice subtle clack that only a wood bait will give you, cast very well and the hook placement is excellent at they don’t get married or catch on the bill or the mainline. 

Soon as I get a chance to fish them I’ll update the post and hopefully have some decent catches with them. 

In the meantime here’s some sweet swim videos from @Topbananalures

Finally, the price point on these rats is incredibly affordable so if you’re interested reach out to Daniel - his quality and service are rock solid. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiqA8DdrdCa/?igshid=NjZiMGI4OTY=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Chc-MiHFcV_/?igshid=NjZiMGI4OTY=

63D6CE43-D188-4B42-8903-F218E7A363A2.jpeg

Edited by Jim137a

11 minutes ago, BayAreaAngler said:

Can’t wait just put in my order the other day for a 2 piece

Keep us updated on your thoughts on the bait as well as what you catch.  

Personally, I’m happy to find bait makers like @Jinxd12 , @SacPig916 and  @topbsnanalures on IG that offer a good bait, quality and service and I’ll continue to seek them out and try their stuff. 

A66AAF20-8429-42F4-BD39-5D2A73B383D6.thumb.jpeg.8da10b01b91f3f72288e3a5d5b73f1cd.jpegDefinitely a sweet wood rat; can’t beat the signature wooden “knock”. Gonna be a fun bait to fish in the next few weeks. Stable too, can burn it in pretty quick and the one I have doesn’t blow out. Although a slow reel is how I fish most wakes in general 

8 hours ago, NJSwimbatslinger said:

A66AAF20-8429-42F4-BD39-5D2A73B383D6.thumb.jpeg.8da10b01b91f3f72288e3a5d5b73f1cd.jpegDefinitely a sweet wood rat; can’t beat the signature wooden “knock”. Gonna be a fun bait to fish in the next few weeks. Stable too, can burn it in pretty quick and the one I have doesn’t blow out. Although a slow reel is how I fish most wakes in general 

When i test casted the 1 piece, 2 piece and 3 piece none of them blew out on a burn - so that tells me it’s definitely a well balanced bait. IMO the only reason I’m burning a rat is to keep it away from a hawk, if I miss a fish and want to get the bait back in and make another quick cast - so its a good thing that the baits will burn and not come back all fouled up. 

On 9/24/2022 at 2:44 PM, BayAreaAngler said:

Can’t wait just put in my order the other day for a 2 piece

Got yours in production, filling lead holes tonight, will glue remaining hardware and seal wood tomorrow. Should be ready to paint and clear over the weekend :)

21 hours ago, DPCredeur said:

Thanks for the kind words and review of my baits Jim!

It’s a great bait imo and destined to get bit the more I fish it the more I love it - the action and knock on the sugar foot is incredible 

Hopefully I can find some willing fish with Fred this week.