Artex R2

Whatthebass

Anyone out there with any experience with the R2? I would LOVE to find one or even a Pulse 1C but as we all know, that’s not an easy thing to do and if one does, it’s not gonna be cheap at all. That being said, I’m trying to build the “ultimate” K9 rod that isn’t an R2 or 1C. My questions are; how is the tip section on the R2? Soft, stiff, kind of in the middle?, is it more of a parabolic rod as opposed to a broom stick? Is it actually fast action or is it more of a mod. Fast action? My past experience with jdm Swimbait Ross that are labeled as “fast” are more mod. Fast to me. Does it load up nice on the back swing making casting the K9 efficient and accurate?  I’ve got 2 potential candidates built and I’ve been fishing them hard side by side and like them both but cant seem to make a final decision. Hopefully with some input about the one, true, ULTIMATE K9 rod, I can make my decision. Thank you dudes. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:35 PM, Whatthebass said:

Anyone out there with any experience with the R2? I would LOVE to find one or even a Pulse 1C but as we all know, that’s not an easy thing to do and if one does, it’s not gonna be cheap at all. That being said, I’m trying to build the “ultimate” K9 rod that isn’t an R2 or 1C. My questions are; how is the tip section on the R2? Soft, stiff, kind of in the middle?, is it more of a parabolic rod as opposed to a broom stick? Is it actually fast action or is it more of a mod. Fast action? My past experience with jdm Swimbait Ross that are labeled as “fast” are more mod. Fast to me. Does it load up nice on the back swing making casting the K9 efficient and accurate?  I’ve got 2 potential candidates built and I’ve been fishing them hard side by side and like them both but cant seem to make a final decision. Hopefully with some input about the one, true, ULTIMATE K9 rod, I can make my decision. Thank you dudes. 

My Pulse has been the best rod ive used for the K9. Ive heard that the R2 is more parabolic. couldnt tell you for sure. only a few guys that have both. You should point your question to @gtw7983. He has both. 

Just got the R2 last week and haven’t got a chance to fish it yet. Did a side by side comparison with the Pulse; and here are my findings and hope they are helpful:

R2 is slightly faster than Pulse; bends higher up in the blank and Pulse bends deeper down into the blank. They are both mod. fast imo. Haven’t ran into any broomsticks in the Drt rod lineup; which is also true for most JDM rods. All DRT rods are designed around hardbaits with treble hooks so far to my knowledge. Although rods like the Artex Border Patrol was intended for swim jigs; I still find it to be great to launch small to medium hardbaits far and accurately; and at the same time, keep the fishes pinned with its deep bend into the blank.

R2 is 233 grams on my scale while Pulse is 240 grams. So no major difference in terms of weight. 
R2 is about an inch longer than Pulse.

R2’s blank is noticeably thinner than Pulse’s; not by a lot but definitely noticeable.

They both run pretty much the same components except the blanks; with the R2 looking more on the higher end side with more writings on the butt section. And of course that Artex printing alone makes it worthwhile imo considering how much more it costs compared to the Pulse lol. 
Can report back when I get a chance to fish both rods side by side. Hopefully this helps answer some of the op’s questions. Tight lines.

A44DBC42-FD9B-4BCE-9A34-6AA1A943E192.jpeg

696A06E8-3C21-46AD-BF90-44AB0F3212B7.jpeg

On 10/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, gtw7983 said:

Just got the R2 last week and haven’t got a chance to fish it yet. Did a side by side comparison with the Pulse; and here are my findings and hope they are helpful:

R2 is slightly faster than Pulse; bends higher up in the blank and Pulse bends deeper down into the blank. They are both mod. fast imo. Haven’t ran into any broomsticks in the Drt rod lineup; which is also true for most JDM rods. All DRT rods are designed around hardbaits with treble hooks so far to my knowledge. Although rods like the Artex Border Patrol was intended for swim jigs; I still find it to be great to launch small to medium hardbaits far and accurately; and at the same time, keep the fishes pinned with its deep bend into the blank.

R2 is 233 grams on my scale while Pulse is 240 grams. So no major difference in terms of weight. 
R2 is about an inch longer than Pulse.

R2’s blank is noticeably thinner than Pulse’s; not by a lot but definitely noticeable.

They both run pretty much the same components except the blanks; with the R2 looking more on the higher end side with more writings on the butt section. And of course that Artex printing alone makes it worthwhile imo considering how much more it costs compared to the Pulse lol. 
Can report back when I get a chance to fish both rods side by side. Hopefully this helps answer some of the op’s questions. Tight lines.

A44DBC42-FD9B-4BCE-9A34-6AA1A943E192.jpeg

696A06E8-3C21-46AD-BF90-44AB0F3212B7.jpeg

Dude, where and how did you get those?

• 3 weeks later...

A little late but I have both rods. Both rods are amazing for the K9 but in my opinion, the R2 is the better of the two. The R2 is slightly faster than the Pulse but both parabolic. The R2 is lighter than the pulse which was a surprise. With the two rods, it feels like the only bait that should be put on the R2 is the K9 while I will fish the TiK on the Pulse as well as the K9. Both fight fish great as well.