Mend it glue

Dink whisperer

26 minutes ago, Dink whisperer said:

Where/how do you guys store your Mend it? I keep a lot on hand to repair my big soft baits. I store it inside in a medicine cabinet and after a few weeks it dries up on me. 

I leave it in my fishing bag in the original hard shell and crank the lid really tightly and have never had it dry on me. If you leave it open without putting the lid back on when you’re fixing a bait it will dry out more quickly. 

47 minutes ago, Dink whisperer said:

Where/how do you guys store your Mend it? I keep a lot on hand to repair my big soft baits. I store it inside in a medicine cabinet and after a few weeks it dries up on me. 

I’ve learned it has to be kept cold not ‘cool’ as the container says.  Mine also dries up in weeks / months if I don’t keep it in the refrigerator.  It stays good for me for many months / even years kept cold in the refrigerator.  Just be careful .. don’t ever eat it of course …

You also don’t know how it was stored and for how long from wherever you buy it like a tackle warehouse for example.  

keep it cold.  

I've had mine like 2 yrs now, closed tight, in the clamshell it came in, in my fishing bag, in the garage, thru winter and socal summers, it's still like new. 

Edited by SumoNinja

10 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

I've had mine like 2 yrs now, closed tight, in the clamshell it came in, in my fishing bag, in the garage, thru winter and socal summers, it's still like new. 

15 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

I leave it in my fishing bag in the original hard shell and crank the lid really tightly and have never had it dry on me. If you leave it open without putting the lid back on when you’re fixing a bait it will dry out more quickly. 

I'm the same as these; I've had the original bottle for two years now, only used it a handful of times, no drying issues. I had no idea you're supposed to even keep it cool, it's sitting right now in my fishing bag in the garage (NW Illinois, so freezing winters and 90+° summers, it's still as good as new).

16 hours ago, urbanhick said:

The brush gets contaminated with plastisol  and then it's put back in the jar contaminating that too.  Try using a fresh tooth pic each time you dip it in the bottle and see if that helps.

I think contamination is a major contributing factor to problems with Mend-it becoming more difficult to work with. I used nearly a 1/2oz bottle this summer when I was on my night fishing pattern. When the bottle got below 30% full, I could see little chunks of plastisol on the bottom. Additionally, the bristles of the brush would be stuck together until they had soaked in the Mend-it solvent for several minutes.