My first homemade swimbait

Morrill77

Hey guys, new here. Wanted to post my first homemade swimbait, a wake gill. I currently have a bull frog wake in the works and will post that when it is finished. looking for any and all feedback especially from experienced makers. Seem to have the only trouble in process with the last/ final coat (epoxy)  what do you suggest for final coat? looking for something that sets fairly quick but still goes on easy, getting inconsistencies in this last step. 

SWIM2.jpg

SWIM.jpg

Thank you @azsouth I appreciate the kind words. I am currently using a loktite 2 part 5 min epoxy and it just sets far to fast but gives a nice thick protective coating. I would really like to at least grab some sort of 30 min epoxy to let me have more time to work with it before it sets. I've read here that "Devcon2" is a go too?

Epoxy will work good man, but it really needs to be a 30 minute epoxy.  5 minute epoxy is water resistant, but not water proof. Try some BSI 30 minute epoxy. It self levels really well.  Still I like to let them set for atleast over night, preferably 24 hours before fishing. It states 6-8 hours for a full cure, but I swear at least to my eye, it remains more optically clear and glossy if I wait 24 hours or close to it, to handle it (not talking fishing, just handling it).  But if you need something quick, you can deal with it around 6 hours, I just like to wait if I'm not in a crunch.  KBS isn't what you're looking if you want something to cure fast, that stuff can take days and even then still may be a little soft.  If you really want something faster curing than the epoxy, to build and then head out fishing, your probably going to be looking at the UV cure route.

That lure looks 100x better than my 1st, great job!!!! I like uv resin like what azsouth said but True Glide Epoxy is hands down the best stuff out there it flexes with the bait so it does not chip or crack and it does not yellow. I would recommend that you build a lure turner as well so that the epoxy gets covered evenly. Hope this helps!

I will disagree with everyone that KBS is soft. That stuff is like a tank on everything I put it on.

It is a pain in the ass to get 100% correct everytime if you don't thin it. I have figured out a lot of little hiccups as I went...but in no way is it "soft".

I have ordered some UV resin for the 1st time to give it a go for ease of use but it's expensive and you need a light setup on top of buying the product. 

There is always pro and cons to everything.

If it's for personal use only, be cheap in my opinion, you will learn what you like as you go!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like KBS it is hard as a rock and it lasts a long time if you put a few coats on. Yes there is 100% pros on cons to everything. I really prefer epoxy just because it looks a little nicer, you can add powder effects, and it is most likely the strongest clearcoat. On the other hand it is annoying to put on and bubbles can be an issue which you need to use heat to pop them. I think the pros outweigh the cons with epoxy, but if you are making a lot of baits you really need something you can just slap on quick.

On 10/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, Jinxd12 said:

I will disagree with everyone that KBS is soft. That stuff is like a tank on everything I put it on.

It is a pain in the ass to get 100% correct everytime if you don't thin it. I have figured out a lot of little hiccups as I went...but in no way is it "soft".

I have ordered some UV resin for the 1st time to give it a go for ease of use but it's expensive and you need a light setup on top of buying the product. 

There is always pro and cons to everything.

If it's for personal use only, be cheap in my opinion, you will learn what you like as you go!

16 minutes ago, Brendan2468 said:

I really like KBS it is hard as a rock and it lasts a long time if you put a few coats on. Yes there is 100% pros on cons to everything. I really prefer epoxy just because it looks a little nicer, you can add powder effects, and it is most likely the strongest clearcoat. On the other hand it is annoying to put on and bubbles can be an issue which you need to use heat to pop them. I think the pros outweigh the cons with epoxy, but if you are making a lot of baits you really need something you can just slap on quick.

The UV stuff is great, just gave it a go this weekend. But for the new guy just tinkering cheap should be the way to go!