0 for 6 on the weedless 68

Hojo

Like the title says, having trouble getting hooked up and need some help. I'm getting bit, but can't seem to get the hook in any of them. Lost a big girl the other morning and most have been full commits to eating.

Equipment:

Rod - Powell Swimbait rod 711h

Reel - conquest 100; drag as tight as I can get it

Line - 50# power pro straight-tied to bait

Hook set: typically keep reeling and as the rod loads pull hard/fast to the 2:30-3:00 position if 12:00 was the top of your head.

I haven't tried scent. Hook visually looks good and clears the plastic channel. I have boulder the bait so it is a bit softer.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, suggestions...

If that rod is extra stiff and you are using braid it may be the problem.. I love braid but use it on my loomis 955 for small baits like the 68 and rising son. It has a lot of give. Also the hook gap is pretty slim on the 68's open it up a bit with pliers to get a deeper bite. Your going to lose fish no matter what but 0 for 6 isn't good. The beauty of line through baits like the rising son is that you will hardely ever lose a fish after it is hooked.

Thanks for the feedback - I will try loosening the drag. I guess I was thinking I needed to "drive the hook home" since I wasn't using a treble.

I hear you on the rising son but the grass gets thick down here and I have been having trouble getting the RS through.

i must be in the minority, my drag is always locked out especially on the weedless huds, you need to be able to drive that baby home. If I back off the drag, it takes away the power from the hook set. Of course, I only use braid if I am fishing heavy matt, litllies or thick weeds and in those cases I would probably being throwing a grass minnow, mission fish or a 316 minnow or the like. 99% of my sbing im using big game. You got to keep pressure on hud fish or they come off and you need a strong hook set for weedless baits.

What results do you get when throwing a top hook version of the same bait?

Are you adding any trap hooks?

is the hook on the huddleston still sharp?

also, are you fishing from a boat or shore?

-haven't thrown the top hook or add trap hook as I need a weedless presentation. The hook is still sticky and I'm a shore-bound bank beater