INTERESTING! 1 fish tournies ?

T Dot

anyone enter in one of these?

:)

ive participated in a few local club tournies and always just gunned for the big fish, though i have never done it in a full blown tourny.

ive been coaxed to possibly enter such a gathering. its staggering how much 1 fish can win.

... what are your thoughts?

Why the heck not? Especially if it's on a body of water you know, or have fished before.

1 fish, big fish, is a style that suits the swimbait world over and over. The SU tourneys are just that.

I'd say go for it!

Geoff

here on Lake Austin, every November there is a Big Bass per hourly period tourney. I like it a lot better than the 5 fish deal. You are never out of it.

First cast at 6am, first weigh in at 9, then 11, then 1 then final at 3pm. You can win/place/show per period, then these fish go into a win/place/show for the whole day.

Big fish for the event will probably get you $1200 or so, depending on the number of boats.

it's pretty involved to put on an event like this.

from my understanding its very similar to the oakley tourney. i have to read more about it, as i dont understand the format too well. however, it looks very promising.

as stated, its 1 fish and you are never out of the competition.

:)

definitely a cool concept.

ive entered a few of these 1 fish tournies locally and have done well. then again it was really just amongst a bunch of friends. this is on a different level.

i would be entering with my cousin... so that is a big plus!

I've fished one day of an Oakley tournament each of the last two years. It is a great format, good payback (I'm fishing with "house money" again next year), and lots of fun knowing you only need 1 bite. Also done a smaller tournament. I actually prefer the smaller tournaments though. Less payback, but this year there were 250+ boats and over 400 anglers in the Oakley tourney and even on a big lake it was "crowded".

I fish a few of them every year. Its a $10 buy in You get 4hrs to fish and big fish takes all. If a bunch of people show up they will pay out 1 or 2 more spots some times. They do a side 50/50 drawing. Its fun me and my friend are the only ones that toss swimbaits. We get some weird looks and they laugh us. But we are the only ones bringing 5lb + fish to the scales.

I fish a few of them every year. Its a $10 buy in You get 4hrs to fish and big fish takes all. If a bunch of people show up they will pay out 1 or 2 more spots some times. They do a side 50/50 drawing. Its fun me and my friend are the only ones that toss swimbaits. We get some weird looks and they laugh us. But we are the only ones bringing 5lb + fish to the scales.

What lake?

we use to fish a bunch of those, and you are correct it is very entertaining to say the least. it was also funny a jon boat would go up against 40k-60k boats.

we use to fish a bunch of those, and you are correct it is very entertaining to say the least. it was also funny a jon boat would go up against 40k-60k boats.

:lol::lol::lol: I saw a old guy towing his jon boat with his Cadilla to the one. The so called Pro guys laughed at him. He blow them away at weigh in. He came over to me and stared talking about how he used to toss musky baits for bass back in the day. I asked him what he caught all his fish on and he showed me a beat up old wood bait that looked like a punker.

There's a number of these tourney's. Oakley Big Bass, McDonald's Big Bass splash, Berkley Big Bass Tourney etc. All of these are formatted to fit the swimbait fisherman. The McDonald's BBS has Hourly prizes of $100-$1000, each day (3 day tourneys) have a even fish weight.....here at Toledo Bend the even fish weight is 3.00 and 4.00. Those fish are worth $5000. Then there's grand prizes such as trucks and boats. 1st place at Toledo Bend wins a Dodge ram and a 19' Bass Boat. Not sure which states hold events like these but I know Texas and Louisiana sure do.

Long story short these events are well worth the time spent. I would definitely look into participating.