Fresh hooks

BASS_SWINGER

Never understood the whole deal of obscessing over hook sharpness. It takes very little force to push even a not so sharp hook through a fishes mouth. Had this debate with a fishing partner one time who thought I was an idiot for even suggesting that hooks being sharp to the point of piercing your skin just by touching them was not needed. So just to prove him wrong I took a knife sharpener and filed the hook tips dull in the boat. Never had a fish come off the whole day. He still owes me a lot of money since I saved him a s*** ton.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, Swimb8ting_TheSouth said:

I’ve never had a problem with sharpening. Ive sharpened decoys and gamies. I understand that there is a coating on the hooks but if you gently sharpen it shouldn’t be a problem. For me it’s a thing i like to do when I’m bored lol. 

I agree with this. I use a somewhat fine file and can get pretty much any hook to as sharp as factory. The generally accepted marker is the fingernail test and I stand by that. That’s part of where the “sticky sharp” saying comes from. 

Definitely switch them out as needed - I try to check them before a trip but more often notice that one or more points are getting dull while fishing and I’ll make a mental note of it. I’ve found that when fish are quietly nudging or slurping wakebaits having very sharp hooks gets hookups while fuller hooks tend not to pin the fish. And I’m all about pinning the fish.

i replace as needed, i almost always take off whatever hooks and rings come stock and replace with rosco flat black split rings and mustad kvd hooks. 

i check my baits all the time and replace as needed throughout the season especially on baits that in heavy rotation and baits that get fished in rocky areas 

i love that guys complain about the cost of hooks, rings, terminal tackle, but have 15K worth of swimbaits, multiple custom rods and reel combos, a baller azz truck and crazy boats but wont spend the $$ to replace hooks or swap out fluro/mono