Shimano Cardiff thumb bar issues

Riley201dc

Recently after cleaning my Cardiff 300 I noticed that sometimes after I click the thumb bar it gets stuck with the spool disengaged. Once I turn the reel handle to click the reel back into gear it just spins. For reasons unknown, I noticed that adjusting the spool tension knob also has an effect on how often the spool re-engages correctly. I have taken apart and cleaned tons of my baitcasters countless times and have never run into issues upon reassembly other than with this Cardiff. Hoping some of the reel geeks have some insight. Thanks guys. 

I’ve been using the Cardiff for many years but have never encountered this problem . All my cardiffs have been workhorses and regularly maintained and cleaned . I would reach out to Shimano via email to see what they recommend . I also have a reel guy if you want his contact . 

Not sure if I understand the issue correctly, but I would open your reel again and check to make sure the metal tabs on the “clutch plate” (part 2570) are straight. Sometimes if you don’t reassemble with the thumb bar up it will bend the metal tab that the clutch interfaces with, causing issues with engaging/disengaging the clutch. If the tab is bent, you can try to gently bend it back with pliers.

9AF8DD73-48DE-4B66-97B5-96748DDBE75A.thumb.jpeg.31a27212bb4010e6d96fea69238ae1d9.jpeg

So I’ll ask the obvious question first: when you reassemble the reel, and put the side back on, did you make sure you held the thumb bar in the up position? Very common mistake for Cardiff users. 

Now for more details: I had a situation similar to this when I was repairing a Cardiff I purchased used. I had two situations: 

- First one was a push nut / washer was not holding and the internals were binding. I fixed this by pressing the washer flatter causing the clip to secure a little tighter to the post (I don’t have the diagram but will shoot you an image shortly)
- Another issue I encountered was dirt in the thumb bar slider. I had to throughly clean the slide and make sure it moved up and down freely, then added a small drop of oil.

8 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Not sure if I understand the issue correctly, but I would open your reel again and check to make sure the metal tabs on the “clutch plate” (part 2570) are straight. Sometimes if you don’t reassemble with the thumb bar up it will bend the metal tab that the clutch interfaces with, causing issues with engaging/disengaging the clutch. If the tab is bent, you can try to gently bend it back with pliers.

9AF8DD73-48DE-4B66-97B5-96748DDBE75A.thumb.jpeg.31a27212bb4010e6d96fea69238ae1d9.jpeg

Bingo! That’s what was binding up when that clip I mentioned was not holding. 
The push nut is part 1227.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I realized I over tightened the screw closest to the clutch plate on the reel frame. I think it was causing the clutch plate to bind. Since keeping it a little past hand tight it has been functioning properly.