Lines for wake baits

ParkerB

On 1/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, mbleming said:

The guys that use braid for topwater, do you have trouble with the braid constantly wrapping around the front treble hook? I was thinking of trying straight braid but thought a significant number of casts might end up fouled in the front...maybe heavier line can help prevent that? 50lb and above? In addition, do you find that the braid sinks after awhile, causing the bait to be pulled under slightly?  Thanks!

My friend loves to fish Lunker Punkers. He applies some super glue about 12-18in on his braid. Makes it stiff enough where it line won't loop back towards the lure.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, mbleming said:

The guys that use braid for topwater, do you have trouble with the braid constantly wrapping around the front treble hook? I was thinking of trying straight braid but thought a significant number of casts might end up fouled in the front...maybe heavier line can help prevent that? 50lb and above? In addition, do you find that the braid sinks after awhile, causing the bait to be pulled under slightly?  Thanks!

From my experience of working top water baits such as a pencil popper with 50lb braid, the line tends to wrap around the hook if I were to walk it too fast. Once I found the right cadence, it greatly reduced the issue of the line getting caught around the hook. Never really noticed the bait getting pulled under slightly from braid sinking. The main factors the cause the bait to get pulled under for me would be current/wind.

10 hours ago, Morph808 said:

My friend loves to fish Lunker Punkers. He applies some super glue about 12-18in on his braid. Makes it stiff enough where it line won't loop back towards the lure.

That's an interesting idea...maybe I'll try braid this season and give this a shot, thanks!