How many skunks & lost baits does it take til...

bassfishing24/7

First off I'm still very much a newb to swimbaits,I joined last year in hopes of catching some swimbait fish,I gave it a go & after losing what could have been my first,I became discouraged after losing my hudd 68's due to snags.i decided to give it another shot this year but its just like I have bad karma or something....I've already lost a couple more hudds(today being one)...now I'm just thinking if this isn't for me...barely being able to afford to buy them & the gear that goes with it...one other thing is the lake I fish has been really tough for bass all around....I'm just getting really frustrated all in all...any words of advice would be appreciated.Thanks Guys!

Learn how to lob cast instead of flinging your swimbaits and re-tie after every snag. It just takes a nick sometime to severe the line on a heavy lure. I'm about catching fish, not what lure I'm using to catch fish. If the swimbait bite isn't there always fall back to what you know. For me it's pitching jigs around wood, works everytime.

Also, keep on grinding brother.

Learn how to lob cast instead of flinging your swimbaits and re-tie after every snag. It just takes a nick sometime to severe the line on a heavy lure. I'm about catching fish, not what lure I'm using to catch fish. If the swimbait bite isn't there always fall back to what you know. For me it's pitching jigs around wood, works everytime.

Also, keep on grinding brother.

Thanks for the advice.

Keep on it ure not the only one if i counted how much ive lost this year it'd be a depressing story. Biggest ive caught all year is only shy of 4#, just keep at it when u get the pig itll be that much more rewarding just before you put her back in. Or go for some stripers and bring home dinner.

my advice would be don't do it if you aren't enjoying it. this is supposed to be fun! if it isn't fun for you then you're just wasting time you have where you could be doing something more enjoyable. The challenge keeps me here, that idea of a teener fish is always looming (especially here in california) but if i ever cease to enjoy throwing swimbaits i'll just sell all my stuff, it is a big time and money commitment, always be happy above all else.

other advice, try some smaller baits maybe, just to get your confidence up... try the skt swimmer, try a small lunker punker, maybe even switch up your approach with the hudd and try the 8"... i've had 100x the luck with the 8" vs the 6 and 68 but then again, i throw it 100x more.

hang in there, don't let it get you down, we all have gone through long streaks without fish!

my advice would be don't do it if you aren't enjoying it. this is supposed to be fun! if it isn't fun for you then you're just wasting time you have where you could be doing something more enjoyable. The challenge keeps me here, that idea of a teener fish is always looming (especially here in california) but if i ever cease to enjoy throwing swimbaits i'll just sell all my stuff, it is a big time and money commitment, always be happy above all else.

other advice, try some smaller baits maybe, just to get your confidence up... try the skt swimmer, try a small lunker punker, maybe even switch up your approach with the hudd and try the 8"... i've had 100x the luck with the 8" vs the 6 and 68 but then again, i throw it 100x more.

hang in there, don't let it get you down, we all have gone through long streaks without fish!

Yeah I understand that it takes time but it will eventually happen,I'll just keep grinding til that day comes hopefully soon!

I was in the same boat as you last year. Sold most of my stuff. Got back into it this year and finally got a decent fish in the spring. Stuck with it all year and got some more ok fish. Then this fall I caught my 3rd biggest fish ever. It made it all worth it. And Im a poor college guy so I know what you mean about not having the money. I only buy baits when I can get a deal and I stay away from the expensive stuff. Just keep chuckin and youll still a piggy!

My fishing buddy and I probably lose more baits and get skunked more than anyone on here!!! :lol::lol: I have not kept it a secret that i am >150 hours skunked (actually just broke 160) But we both love swimbait fishing. We both get discouraged sometimes but always motivate each other that the big girl is coming. Maybe it is because we have both already stuck good fish that we can stay motivated I know how hard that first one is.

But I definitely have to agree that if you are not enjoying it, dont do it. There is this misconception that swimbaiting is the only way to be a trophy hunter, and that is ridiculous. If catching big fish is why you are doing it but you are not enjoying it there are plenty of other ways to catch pigs. Joe Everrett is an amazing trophy hunter and his go to is a big jig n' pig. The old school guys Bill Murphey (btw read his book), LJ Brasher, and tons of other dudes stuck more quality fish than most could ever dream of, using some traditional techniques in the right areas. Half the dudes on here fish swimbaits on little fish patterns and just catch little fish, but they enjoy it so hey good for them. Fish however makes you happy, big fish, small fish, swimbaits, jigs, worms whatever keeps fishing because you enjoy it.

Like said above, we've all been through the droughts. I'm on my 8th year with the SBs, I got off to a relatively fast start with a few fish over 7# my first few outtings, which kept me motivated, but after that it was a tough 3 year stretch with just a few fish to show for it. But the thing is I tried to learn from each outting/skunk. On my fourth year, thoughts and actions started to all come together and everything clicked. Keep in mind that the learning curb on swimbaits is long and slow because you don't get the same feedback from the fish that you do lets say from a senko and if you are fishing city parks which is probably your case being in SGV, it's even longer. Hang in there it will click.

My fishing buddy and I probably lose more baits and get skunked more than anyone on here!!!.

dude i love your signature on here... i had no idea he had a 288 hour skunk streak!

That is what he said it was two years ago. Idk if he beat it or not, considering a lot of his deps footage is from 2 years ago I would say he hasnt :lol: But yeah that should help motivate OP too if he does enjoy swimbaits that just goes to show, EVERYONE has bad skunks!

Its truly funny how it all goes away in one cast. Just know when you are fishing proven baits that you are in fact doing right. Its just a matter of location and time. If you don't get any clues then it makes it harder. One of the best lines ever came off of a foutune cookie lol it said " Those who expect nothing will never be disappointed" but that is how I look at every trip. Its going to be tough but I will give it my all. Catching is the bonus . Good luck buddy. Maybe a change of water will do you good ; )