Dobyns or IRod

SDMF10

I’m looking for a a swimbait rod to get back into throwing 8-10” baits from 3.5-7 ounces. Soft and hard on the same rod. Biggest soft bait I’d throw would be the Defiant 210 or 8” hudd. I settled on the Tatula 300 for a reel and a Varial 117mm. For hard baits I’d be throwing Deps 250, klash 9 and maybe a phoney frogs Shad for the biggest baits. 

Dobyns Champion xp:

7’9” Heavy 2-8oz

8’ Heavy 2-8 oz

8’ mag heavy 3-10oz 

or 

IRod gen3:

8’ Heavy swimbait 3-8oz 

8’ Swimbait xl 3-10oz

If 3-8oz rods would be enough I’d be interested in the Levante Leviathan or Daiwa rods too but figured for a do-all I’d need something with a tad more back bone. Any other suggestions would help too!

Either way I’d appreciate any answers. Thanks! Have a good one. Hope you crush your pb this year. 

FYI Dobyns lure ratings tend to be optimistic. If you like a long handle, the 867 is a great rod for hard baits in that range. It may be too soft of a rod for big soft baits though, depends on how you fish.

Most of the irods I’ve fished with (gen II heavy and baileys swim) are “stiffer” with more backbone which I think lends themselves to be better at fishing soft baits.

Irod baileys swim (heavy). Also, the irod large swim is rated to seven ounces and a bit shorter at 7'9 if that is appealing for fishing from a yak or the bank. Both are listed as moderate action but as stated above, theyve got plenty of backbone. I throw hard and softbaits on both and love them.

Irods are only good for softbaits, I would not trust their actions on hard baits. As far as a soft bait rod goes though, if you plan to use jig hook baits it would probably help to have an Irod, but it’s going to suck for glides with a blank that shuts off between 1/4 and a 1/3 of the way down. Dobyns is like Dan said optimistic on ratings but you can figure out which rod to throw on old threads. I’d say in your case an 867 would be best since it’s the best manufactured glide rod you can buy especially for 250s. It can set jig hooks too although you have to lay into them on tight line and can’t slack it but you shouldn’t be setting on slack anyways. The 867 will just feel a bit odd on a jig hookset but will no doubt drive the hooks, it’s just a feeling you’ll need to get used to. 

16 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

Irods are only good for softbaits, I would not trust their actions on hard baits.

To each their own, but I completely disagree with this. The whole reason they made the air series baileys rod was because so many felt the genesis III baileys wasn't performing well enough for bigger soft baits and was better suited for hardbaits. So they made the stouter air baileys. Just my opinion, but never had an issue throwing, working, or landing with hardbbaits on any of my irods. I actually have a phenix ultra classic that I prefer for my bigger softbaits over the baileys. Maybe I just like stiffer rods though... cheers.

I’ve lost so many fish on jig hooked baits with my I rod jr it’s not even funny. Fishing literally anything with a jig hoot in the 6” range. Never lost a glide fish on it though. 

Figured with that bigger I rod it’s probably good for 4-8 rather than 3-10. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be bad for a 250 or Bullshooter or klash 9 at all. Kinda figured a rod rated for 8 would be more like a 6 or 7 ounce max so it’s pushing it with a 250. 

2 hours ago, SwingAway said:

To each their own, but I completely disagree with this. The whole reason they made the air series baileys rod was because so many felt the genesis III baileys wasn't performing well enough for bigger soft baits and was better suited for hardbaits. So they made the stouter air baileys. Just my opinion, but never had an issue throwing, working, or landing with hardbbaits on any of my irods. I actually have a phenix ultra classic that I prefer for my bigger softbaits over the baileys. Maybe I just like stiffer rods though... cheers.

I’m basing this off of what I’ve heard and then also messing with my buddy’s 8’3”, not sure which one but I think it’s rated 4-8 or something Irod. It’s quite possible that they have some pretty parabolic rods but the general consensus seems to be that even an “Irod parabolic” is still pretty fast. If you don’t lose fish then obviously it works, but generally speaking more parabolic characteristics if you can learn to use them will be more beneficial when the baits you’re throwing weigh multiple ounces. 

Huh, there's no 8'3" anywhere in the irod lineup. I agree the general concensus has been that they're a faster, stouter taper but I definitely think that "concensus" developed years ago during the genesis II days. Seems like most don't realize there's a Quercus, air, and crusher series on top of the genesis III series. Tons of diversity of tapers, actions, and lengths among those series for their swimbait rods these days.

2 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

I’m basing this off of what I’ve heard and then also messing with my buddy’s 8’3”, not sure which one but I think it’s rated 4-8 or something Irod. It’s quite possible that they have some pretty parabolic rods but the general consensus seems to be that even an “Irod parabolic” is still pretty fast. If you don’t lose fish then obviously it works, but generally speaking more parabolic characteristics if you can learn to use them will be more beneficial when the baits you’re throwing weigh multiple ounces. 

Huh, there's no 8'3" anywhere in the irod lineup. I agree the general concensus has been that they're a faster, stouter taper but I definitely think that "concensus" developed years ago during the genesis II days. Seems like most don't realize there's a Quercus, air, and crusher series on top of the genesis III series. Tons of diversity of tapers, actions, and lengths among those series for their swimbait rods these days.

4 minutes ago, SwingAway said:

Must be an 8’, my bad. I hadn’t realized up until this point that they had swimbait rods in anything but the genesis series so it would make sense that they’ve got some varying actions by now. I’d made the assumption that their other series of rods would follow a similar taper. 

9 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Listen to what Cesar says about the Irod Kaimana 8’ 

9 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Listen to what Cesar says about the Irod Kaimana 8’