What water temperature do you start with gill swimmers?

Born 2 fish

Im talking about bullgills hard gills should I wait to actually see some hills on the bank? Or say screw it and slowly crawl them out deep. The current water temperature is in the low 40s

Edited by Born 2 fish

I rarely factor in water temps honestly, if there's not ice over the body of water I'll be throwing baits. Strategy changes however, can't burn em and expect too many bites when the water is cold. 

50 minutes ago, Tpreston said:

Never take the bluegill baits off here in texas. PB’d on the gantarel jr Dec 31st last year. 8.2. Catch on that and the explorer gill, Mattlures hammertail, etc all year. Don’t expect that bite to slow down at all either 

8E57EA83-8577-4418-BB8F-ECD8D7C7D8AD.jpeg

CC8B0D12-F477-4DDB-A296-2F39C83EAE9F.jpeg

I was more thinking after ice out when it’s cold. Otherwise I do use one all summer and fall

Ah gotcha. We rarely get ice on the water where I’m at so can’t help much but I don’t think Id take one off in any temp either like the other guys commented. The wedge tails and the hard baits tuned to suspend both worked super slowly have done well for me in water down below 50s though. Just change the areas I throw them in and the retrieves. Definitely was very cold when I pb’d

Edited by Tpreston