any precision shooters?

Bonesaw

Thinking of getting a rem 700 sps tac in .308 for a precision shooter. Like the heavy barrel probably upgrade stock and trigger and add detachable.mag. Want to get into reloading and do some hobby lr stuff. Put a leupold horus on there maybe. Anyone have something similar?

You need to strap on your big boy pants and get that 338. Lapua, Weatherby V TTR, and forget that Leupold nonsense, Nightforce. Then let me shoot it :lol: It wil save you money in the long run because your shoulder wont let you shoot that 338. nearly as much haha.

But seriously I know we talked about it a little but you definitely cant go wrong with the set up you mentioned, I do prefer NF to leupold, S&B are really nice too. You can make a mile with that set up no problem. Also I know you already know this but dont buy into all the crazy stuff everyone will say you need, in that class we were knocking over moving targets at 800m with a stock m4 and iron sights, the shooter make the shot not the weapon. You picked out a good gun, a good optic, get some good ammo and you will be fine. But then again what do I know. ;)

Promotive has 40 percent off leupold.

For real?! I love that site! I dont remember if I told you or not but they have 30% Abu reels. I was just joking about the 338. dude I love that weapon but it is completely unnecessary haha. My uncle dabbles in long range and reloads 300 mag and 308 I will talk to him when I go home and maybe he will have some useful info. The nice thing about the rem 700 in 308 is there is more D.O.P.E available for it than any other caliber and weapon. You should be able to know what it is capable of shooting before you even leave home. We should have talked about this more the other day, I used to be WAAAY into it when I was not paying to do it, it is too expensive to do on my dime haha

Ya it is very expensive. Everything I like is too expensive. As far as the 338 goes, who wouldn't want one. I think 1k is about the limit for .308 for unknown distance first round hits. I'm just trying to go shoot.some steel out to 1k. Maybe shoot a deer one day too.

Probably want a different optic for hunting bro. Unless you are going west, most of what you shoot here in the east will be <100m the majority of the deer I have shot with a gun have been 50-75 tops, thats why I love archery, my last archery kill was hauling ass like 30-35 meters away through a holler, now that is a hard shot haha.

Oh and a precision rife gets pretty heavy humping through the woods, you should be fine though being in the shape you are in :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

just want to throw out there ... if its for hunting there are many other calibers that will suit better depending on what your hunt is about-- i would advise a .300wsm for elk or larger bodied stuff, or anything in the deer realm a in the .20cal + range, if its going to be precise there is no need for overkill. ive done a lot of firearm work, centerfire,rimfire,shotgun and airguns. doubt my bs is very helpful, but i do know that a .308 can really mess up deer , but is good on larger life.

I have this one, lol its for sale. Its similar to what you talking about. Of course the stock is not the original one the gun came in.

snipe1.jpg

That rifle is pretty nasty! That thing looks like it would split a deer in two!

I love the .308 as an every day shootable utility round. If you are shooting set ranges where you have time to really dial it in and lower velocities are a non issue, it will hold it's own with most rounds. For hunting, I am an oddball. You couldn't convince me to trade my gun for any other caliber for north american game. I shoot a 1993 (last year for the 12lug bolt) .257wby Mag fibermark with accubrake. 100gr Hand loads at just over 4k fps.

That's a nice looking rifle. Who make the stock? I would definitely want to go .308 since.it's much easier for me to get than any other round. I'm not a big hunter lot of buddies do though. Might tag along eventually.

If you are getting your ammo in the manner in which I think you may be remember that .308 and 7.62 are loaded different, in this case you are alright because .308 is actually loaded a little hotter, but if you end up getting into some AR type weapon down the line 5.56 is hotter than .223 and should not be regularly fired through a .223 chambered weapon.

That's a nice looking rifle. Who make the stock? I would definitely want to go .308 since.it's much easier for me to get than any other round. I'm not a big hunter lot of buddies do though. Might tag along eventually.

the stock is made by choate, its called a "choate custom tactical" it retails for about $500. The barrel action is a rem 700 sps varmit. I looked at both the sps tactical and the varmit, I wanted a long range gun so I went with the varmit because it has a 26 inch barrel compared to the tactical's 20 inch. I see a lot of people talking about hunting. In my opinion this set up is more for shooting in prone position. The stock is very heavy, the entire gun itself weighs in around 16 or 17 pounds. Where I live we mostly deer hunt out of tree stands in wooded areas, so there are better opinions out there gun wise for hunting. Now if you are hunting open land where you have to make long shots and you have a good place where you might beable to set up a ground blind, then this gun could be practical. I choose .308 round because it has been used as a precision round forever, and it is very common and easy to get ahold of like you mentioned. Also there seems to be more aftermarket parts and products in general made for this round.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for a all around solid Rem 700 without going way over board on the price tag, check out the 700P (police tactical). Nothing over the top fancy and it comes with a great bull barrel. It is very easy to find accessories and people who can do some custom work on it. Very field functional but also has has the capabilities to reach out as far as 308 will let you. You can never go wrong with a nice leupold and some larue mounts. I have had mine for 4 years now and have been more than happy with it.