LDC/Custom Rod Handle Lengths

idbass

For those of you who have LDC's, custom build rods, or swimbait rods you like in general, what is your preferred handle length (butt cap to end of fore grip)? I am building a rod and am trying to decide on handle length. I will primarily be throwing Hardgills, Slammers, 6" Nates and also some 68's. The blank is a 7'11" MHX SWB956.

yup, if you get a custom, ben will have you measure you wrist to you elbow, then customize the handle length based on your measurements. That is part of the reason why the customs are so comfortable to fish, they are built specifically for you.

Yes! Ben is incredibly detailed when he builds your rod. I was a pain in his ass but he does not skip a single detail. The cool thing about Ben is he can make you a plain jane rod for those that don't care what they look like, but are all about function, and then he makes some of the most beautiful, unbelievable fishing rods for the people that like to have the aesthetic appeal, too.

To answer the question, I think my custom is 18.5" and my production is whatever the standard length is for those. I like them the way they are.

yup Ben will have you measure your forearm and and a few inches to that i believe. my rod is seriously the most comfortable, balanced, bad ass sb rod ive ever owned. i wish i had extra cash to spend cus id have another one built for me and one built for my wife.

It seems not right to me for someone to ask us about how Ben does his rods. Shouldn't he be asking Ben??? To me this is like saying .. Hey all those who fished with Don how and where does he get them lmao! I can't help in a copy. Sorry.

Not asking how to copy, simply looking for input on what peoples preference is for handle length based on the baits that I will be using. I chose to ask here as opposed to directly PM Ben because:

1 - I figured he would be too busy

2 - I don't just want feedback from the rod builder, I want input from the people who are actually using the rods.

If you wanted to gauge someone's experience with a car, you would not go directly to the manufacturer, you would look at reviews online, Consumer Reports and other third party sources. This is what I am trying to do here. I guess if building one rod for my own private use with my dad in my garage using a rod handle length that is based on feedback that I have gathered from other people is copying, sh*t I guess that is what I am doing :lol: . Also, if you notice in the OP, I did not just ask about LDC's, I asked about other custom rods, or just rods in general and how people liked the handle length. I chose to put LDC in the title because I figured that that would lead to more people viewing the thread based on how popular the rods are.