Pats Issues

WUMFL

Hey SU, I recently did a high end trade for a Pats Phat.

Now that the water is warm, I’ve started throwing it a bit, but I have to say I’m underwhelmed, but it may just be the individual bait, or maybe its just been hyped to hell.

My issue is that the bait doesn’t really seem to swim well/consistently, it doesn’t wake very well but it has too steep of a lip to really crank at a normal speed, and the classic Pats clack is kind of nonexistent.

I’ve seen videos of pats before and they all look a lot better than the one I’m throwing. I’d say mine has much less of a crank (didn’t even know he made baits with this lip), has much less action over all than most pats I feel like I’ve seen.

Maybe it wasn’t built up to Pats standards, maybe it was a custom request, maybe it isn’t tuned right, I’m not sure. Anyone have any thoughts?

Can post a video later if needed. Just want to be sure that I got a good bait from the trade/can make it better.

Maybe I’m just being picky too, and the bait swims like a normal pats and I’m just wrong on how they normally are! Who knows.

Just want some opinions! 

Cant see the lip but you should be able to tune it with the line the, just go very little at a time to see the change.

He made different models of just wakes, crank downs, count downs, etc. He used different wood and materials to get different actions and customs for some people.

There is break in time to get that sound up there the way it should.

Best of luck with it.

Edited by bassbass

6 hours ago, bassbass said:

Cant see the lip but you should be able to tune it with the line the, just go very little at a time to see the change.

He made different models of just wakes, crank downs, count downs, etc. He used different wood and materials to get different actions and customs for some people.

There is break in time to get that sound up there the way it should.

Best of luck with it.

Gotcha, maybe I’m just not fishing it the way it was intended, and maybe I need to break it in more. This is the lip angle as you can see, its definitely a bit different.402F2B01-8BFE-4825-9796-8EFE5A94079C.thumb.jpeg.2e2192bcfdbe0696298007ee23a3e988.jpeg64814826-63A6-4D2A-AB3D-DB180217A0EB.thumb.jpeg.a7e2ce570f2ec5834477ef41cf4126ca.jpeg

Thats a nice collection! And without the clip you think, like direct tie? Its worth a shot! Maybe you’d want to trade one of your perch ones to see if mine is just fine or if I’m crazy :-D

Its interesting to see the lip is the same shape though. I feel like the angle may be different but some of yours look similar. I definitely can’t get my bait down below 2 feet though, especially not on a standard retrieve. On a moderate-fast retrieve it’ll maybe get a foot, maybe a foot and a half

1 hour ago, WUMFL said:

Thats a nice collection! And without the clip you think, like direct tie? Its worth a shot! Maybe you’d want to trade one of your perch ones to see if mine is just fine or if I’m crazy :-D

Its interesting to see the lip is the same shape though. I feel like the angle may be different but some of yours look similar. I definitely can’t get my bait down below 2 feet though, especially not on a standard retrieve. On a moderate-fast retrieve it’ll maybe get a foot, maybe a foot and a half

I do not have these anymore as they did not work for my when I moved to Florida and was not into the hype BS anymore.

As noted each type of bait made had different depths so your may just be the type that gets to 2 feet.

Best of luck