What do you take away from smaller fish?

vikingbear8

If I'm catching small fish shallow, I fish deeper. If I am catching small fish deep, I fish shallow and that works more often then not. I don't really change baits because it is obviously working if I am catching fish. I don't ever see the two size classes really mixing, from angling or snorkeling experience. However, I am a firm believer that where I am catching a lot of smaller-medium sized fish and then there is a lull; anywhere from 5-60 minutes, that a big fish usually comes into the spot. This happens a lot on "productive," spots; you know the ones with "perfect," habitat that you just know you're gonna get bit at. It's almost like those toads are waiting off to the side for all the rookies to leave so they can move in and do it right and be totally solo, kinda like swimbaiters on a busy Saturday morning at their favorite spots.

Small fish to me show me that something about that spot is productive that I can't determine from charts or bottom contact or sight. Whether it is something like better temperatures, forage, ambush points, I don't know, but when there is a lot of fish in an area, there for a reason and thats what matters to me. Big fish started off as a little fish and don't always stray to far from where they started. After all, thats how they got big, they started in the right place and did everything right.. in my opinion at least.

I am interested in knowing what different guys take away from a smaller catch. I know there are some guys on here that dont try to target big fish, but for the guys that do what do you take note of when you catch a 2-5 lber? Or do you not take note of anything at all? Do you like to change your depth, Lure/size, Color, Angle, Presentation, in order to try to catch the size fish you are after, or do you just keeping banging on the same pattern hoping a bigger one will come?

Personally there is only one day of swimbait fishing I have had where I stuck a 5+ the same day I caught smaller fish. And that was a few years ago banking it with my little brother and old man. I was catching a bunch of 2-ish bass, then waded out in the cove to the point where there was a big drop off. I didnt change anything else and stuck a 6.7 (that was in PA too so not bad for up there). Usually however I will either stick 1 maybe 2 over 5 in a day, or I spend a day catching 3s no matter what I change.

What about you guys, ever patterned big fish off of dinks?

For me it depends on the time of year and several other factors, but here are some of my general thoughts on the subject;

(disclaimer, this is not relative to year round activity, nor do I think that this is exclusive to the entire country's fisheries, since each fishery is different and unique)

I feel like I'm in the wrong location or focusing on structure or cover that, while holding a concentration of 2-5#ers, is not going to hold the big one I'm after. Big fish occupy their own territory and don't like to compete with the smaller, faster fish and usually will claim a "key local", whether it be structure of cover. The drop off point you mentioned is a good example example.... the shallow water cover/structure that attracted the smaller fish might be too exposed for the big girls and keeps them in their comfort zone where they are hidden better and can ambush prey more easily without expending a lot of her energy. Even if that drop was only two feet, if it is different enough from the rest of the area, she will claim that for herself.

There are times when big fish pack up and hunt/feed together but usually with other bass in the same class as herself.

Now on another note... if there is schooling action going on (smaller fish 12-16ish"), there is a good chance that there is a momma hanging deep under the action waiting for some injured, easy meals to come drifting down to her.

I really like this response and agree to an extent... do you find this applies more to larger bodies of water?

This is kind of a conglomerative answer from my experience fishing in TN, AL, MS, SC, KY, and TX and everything from creeks to deep reservoirs. I think there's a lot of "prison logic" to the way bass operate; biggest, baddest inmate takes the good table at the cafeteria and sometimes your lunch too. Most of the time they run with their own type and occupy certain areas, sort of thing.

Where I fish, bass over 3lbs is hard to come by. I have only caught 3lbs fish over 3lbs. They were 4-14 5-11 and 6-3. Having a healthy population of smaller fish really keeps me going. I know there are bigger fish out there I just have to find them. Catching "dinks" keeps me going and gives me a boost in confidence with the baits I am throwing. If I am not producing any fish with a particular bait I am less likely to throw it. I am on the hunt for a 7lber and the smaller fish are what keeps me going.