Barometer

Chase

So i have been paying attention alot to the barometer this year. How many check it and what have you found. On a day like today it says 30.13 and all i can think is its going to very slow today. I will report tonight what the case was. Anyone ever do good on a high barometer reading?

I’ve paid attention to weather conditions, water conditions, air & water temperatures, etc., but never the actual barometer reading. I think while all that that plays a role I go fishing no matter what, rain, muddy water, ice, heat, etc. and just make the best of it. I just like going out and fishing trying to get them to bite no matter what whenever I can! :D

I’ve paid attention to weather conditions, water conditions, air & water temperatures, etc., but never the actual barometer reading. I think while all that that plays a role I go fishing no matter what, rain, muddy water, ice, heat, etc. and just make the best of it. I just like going out and fishing trying to get them to bite no matter what whenever I can! :D

X2 ^^^

High barometer reading = high pressure and most likely no wind. Thats tough fishing, Fish will eat, I like to downsize, slow it down, and maybe even deadstick whenever I get a day like that. Whenever the barometer is stable and the barometer starts to drop and the low pressure is coming in (wind coming in, rain starting to fall etc.) thats prime condition and a bite/window opened and thats most likely when a fish is willing to bite a swimbait 8-)

Higher barometer pressure absolutely does turn fish off. The lower the better. Actually one of the best days of my life was hours before a hurricane was to hit and the pressure hit a record low of like 24. I mean it was every cast just about for hours. Then ish got real and had to come off the water.

The way it was explained to me is the barometric pressure as it builds literally puts weight on the fish slowing them down. That they feel the water pressure rising around them from atmospheric pressure rising. When the baro is dropping so is the the pressure on the water so the fish feel less weight and can move more freely and generally feed and chase down bait more.

Nice explanation bud. I have never paid attention to the barometric pressure before tropical storms come through here in alabama but I do know the 2 biggest fish I have ever caught on the lake have came during them. I will/need to pay attention to it next time one comes through.

I have hit big fish and limits in all conditions. I don't worry about things to blame on bad fishing and just enjoy the time out on the water.

Although I don't catch nearly as big or many fish! :lol: I could not have said it any better. I kept a fishing log on my phone for a year, as soon as I caught one I would hit a button that would record everything you could imagine like like,gps,weather,boreter,moon, you name it plus I would put with that depth and all the info my phone couldn't retrieve from the internet. You know what I found? Nothing! Haha I couldn't extrapolate any kind of pattern, so now I just fish and have fun, that is just me though I know people that swear by it and do well

I am no saying it plays a role in whether i fish or not. I would probably fish in a hurricane. Lol. But i am interested in the findings of those that have watched it.

Its windy and 30.13 right now( one of the highest i have seen since i started watching it early in the year. That being said so far 3hours on lake and one missed 6lber and one dd followed right till it saw the boat. We will see what the last 3hours bring.

I like a falling barometer and incoming weather for a couple reasons but the more important one is that it usually guarentees I will have the water to myself. Yes I do get caught it bad conditions a lot but I feel it provides an edge. My catching fish and suffering appear to be directly related.

Cabelas sells a fishing barometer but I don't how how accurate it is(I don't own it). It basically shows that between 29.8 and 30.4 is the "great" time to go fishing. Anything above or below that is not as great if a time. How factual is that?