Recent Scammers

44 minutes ago, Josh Short said:

Ahh come on now that is some BS.. Are we democrats here or what? a guy or gal should not have to "prove" themselves to people that have been on this site since the dawn of man. How you expect newcomers to get invested if they cannot PM people when literally EVERYONE SAYS TO PM THEM! I mean come on now.. 

if you don't like it...there's always Ebay. 

Or perhaps you could just participate in the community....?
I believe that's the original intention of this site. I get that there's alot of folks that are here for the black market but I think there's just as many folks that wanna talk fishing, share catches, get tips on new techniques.

1 hour ago, Mossyback Angler said:

Gentlemen, I think the goal is for new members to  become an active member within the S.U. Community, an establish themselves as a member and then be granted your P/M privileges. 
This is not a e-commerce site. This is a community of swimbait enthusiasts. Fortunately, it does offer a “Black Market” where you can buy, sell and trade at your own risk.  
Personally I think a new member should earn a defined amount of “Reputation Points”, showing they are an active member before being granted access to Buy, Sell & Trade here. It helps protect both new members and establish members. 

My recommendation : sit back, get involved, get established and partake in what is offered to you. Trust me, all good thing  come to those who wait. 

Cheers & Tight Lines Everyone. 

No one could've said it any better! 

I have an easy fix for this problem as far as I’m concerned: if I know you well enough as an established and respected SU member then I’m choosing to buy from you without involving the IRS. I’m on texting basis with many of you anyways. Also I’m only selling to the established SU members I know well from now on to keep the buying/selling transactions as a benefit to those who stay here long enough with respect, transparency and accountability.

Buying and selling on SU should be a privilege and not a right for everyone. If you haven’t done time with us you’re not doing crime with us….. I have spoken! 

Almost all the other forums I used or still use always required new members to have a certain number of post and/or be a member for a certain number of days before being able to sell/buy and/or pm other members, plus only one account from each IP address. 

I’ve never seen a black market/bst run the way it’s done here either. 

every other forum needs a price posted, and the first “i take it” in the thread gets the bait. Everything is out in the open. I remember finding that out the hard way when I joined here and missing out on a ton of baits. And all the back door deals. But that’s how the SU forum is run and handled so it is what it is. Just much different than all other forums I’ve used. 

the recent uptick in scammers is crazy. With everyone blowing baits out super cheap lately it’s easy prey for scammers or even old members to capitalize on people (which seems to also be happening) 

Luckily I’ve never been beat only by UPS and USPS 

As a practically brand new member I’m more than happy using G&S, selling or buying. I’ve bought a couple baits using F&F, but won’t in the future. It seems pretty Wild West around here right now. Hopefully it can get figured out you guys seem to have a great thing going.

5 hours ago, swimbaitunderground said:

Seems like there have been some scammers lately. There have been 2 types

1. Long time members with good reputations from previous transactions. These guys are posting baits only taking PayPal friends and family and selling the same bait multiple times and never sending it to anybody. 

2. New members answering WTB ads via PM saying their friend is selling please send them the money. (we have disabled PMs for new members as a result)

SOLUTION:

PAY WITH GOODS AND SERVICES ONLY.

Any ads posted saying friends and family only will be deleted no matter how long the member has been here.

It is sad that real life issues are pushing into a fishing community. I can almost guarantee that drug addiction issues are involved. A member that had a good reputation all of a sudden decided to scam people? I live and grew up in the dope capital of the US in Kensington section of Philly. I still live here but in a very good area now. In my opinion goods and services isn’t going to stop scammers, it’s only going to hurt folks trying to get a bait they missed on drops or are hard to get. Anyway that’s my rant. PS people suck. 
Tight lines 

For years I’ve said there shouldn’t be eBay style “make me offers” in the Black Market. You have a prove in mind? Ask it!

And I’ve also never understood why f&f is used by so many. For a couple extra bucks, just use g&s for everyone’s protection. It’s not complicated.
Then again, nobody asked me. 

15 hours ago, chefchris said:

every other forum NEEDS A PRICE POSTED, and the first “i take it” in the thread gets the bait. Everything is out in the open. I remember finding that out the hard way when I joined here and missing out on a ton of baits. And all the back door deals. But that’s how the SU forum is run and handled so it is what it is. Just much different than all other forums I’ve used. 

This is something that i wish was implemented a while ago.  Every bait/item being sold should have a set price when posted.  I have noticed more and more people turning the aspect of selling into bidding wars with others through DMs.  Hence why there has also been frustration with other members selling baits from under other members.  If youre care free to re sell baits immediately after receiving them thats your call but at least own it and put a price.  Starting to feel a little less like a community and more like ebay as others have stated.

12 minutes ago, BrierBob said:

How does doing a certain amount of posts give you a reputation that you aren’t going to swindle someone? There will always be a risk buying or trading with someone not in person regardless of their rep.

There's risk in literally anything you can do? Eating? could choke and die. Driving? the number of fatal accidents a year is crazy. Fishing? hooks in the thumb, drowning etc.  The assumption is that if you're actively participating in the community you're less likely to be shady simply because of community accountability. That won't deter everyone but most people won't willingly ruin their good standing in a community they want to be apart of and participate in.     

25 minutes ago, SockeyeSteve said:

There's risk in literally anything you can do? Eating? could choke and die. Driving? the number of fatal accidents a year is crazy. Fishing? hooks in the thumb, drowning etc.  The assumption is that if you're actively participating in the community you're less likely to be shady simply because of community accountability. That won't deter everyone but most people won't willingly ruin their good standing in a community they want to be apart of and participate in.     

1. Long time members with good reputations from previous transactions. These guys are posting baits only taking PayPal friends and family and selling the same bait multiple times and never sending it to anybody. 

5 minutes ago, BrierBob said:

31 minutes ago, SockeyeSteve said:

Key word in there is Most. Guys that had good reputations and still chose to conduct themselves this way, ruined them. You asked a question, I gave you an answer to that question, you don't have to like it or agree with it but there are numerous successful forums across the web that run things this way. There is no perfect solution to any of the worlds issues. G&S is absolutely the way to buy online regardless of where you're buying as you have the ability to get your money back if a seller doesn't deliver. It's a fairly simple process however it's not a 5 minute process.