Low(er) Profile Reel Recs?

danthefisherman

18 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

Revo beast 40. I got lil hands too…they are strong though haha.

I will say I have been pleasantly surprised with the trans 300 as well, but if I had a choice I’d go beast 40 all day, just wish the frame and parts were metal. I beat my gear up fishing at night.

Bro I was going to say the same exact thing as you haha LOL...I got LIL HANDS too!

For the Revo Beast 40 guys...

1. Is the line capacity pretty close to a Daiwa Tatula/Lexa 300 or Shimano Tranx/Curado 300? 
  2. What kind of braking system does it employ and is it pretty forgiving on backlashes as long as you have the brakes dialed in correctly for the bait? 
  3. What is the length on the handle? 
  4. I have heard its one of the smallest 300 size line capacity reels on the market. Does it palm pretty close to a standard 200 sized low profile bait caster on the market? Will it definitely feel smaller and palm better than a Daiwa Lexa 300/Shimano Tranx 300? I am looking for the smallest low profile reel with a 300 sized line capacity that I can get away with and that will allow me to spool on as much braid as I can and still achieve a very high IPT for glide bait fishing. 

I don't even have the Revo Beast 40 and even I can recommend this reel just based on the so many positive reviews I've read from everyone here on SU! SLEEPER Swimbait reel for sure! I definitely need to cop one! I saw one on the black market for 175 shipped a couple weeks ago too! Should have scooped it up. I seriously should have waited on my Daiwa Tatula 200 and gone with the Revo Beast 40 instead since its a 300 size line capacity spool inside of a 200 sized frame. It would make the perfect glide bait reel for my small hands. 

Edited by DEPS_250

Have you thrown a bait that size on the SLX yet?  I threw a 7.5 sly Guy gill on mine today from a yak and it was a a work out. Mine is paired to Tranx 300 which handled it perfectly but on the bigger size for sure (and heavy). 

1 hour ago, BFZimm7 said:

Have you thrown a bait that size on the SLX yet?  I threw a 7.5 sly Guy gill on mine today from a yak and it was a a work out. Mine is paired to Tranx 300 which handled it perfectly but on the bigger size for sure (and heavy). 

Yes, I’ve been throwing my 8.75” trout on and off with my SLX/Curado combo since December. The key I found is to really let the rod load up and launch the bait for me. Leaning into the cast doesn’t seem to gain me much distance anyways so I utilize that nice long handle for leverage instead. I just wish the rod had about 2 inches extra tip as it seems just a tad too short.

7 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

Bro I was going to say the same exact thing as you haha LOL...I got LIL HANDS too!

For the Revo Beast 40 guys...

1. Is the line capacity pretty close to a Daiwa Tatula/Lexa 300 or Shimano Tranx/Curado 300? 
  2. What kind of braking system does it employ and is it pretty forgiving on backlashes as long as you have the brakes dialed in correctly for the bait? 
  3. What is the length on the handle? 
  4. I have heard its one of the smallest 300 size line capacity reels on the market. Does it palm pretty close to a standard 200 sized low profile bait caster on the market? Will it definitely feel smaller and palm better than a Daiwa Lexa 300/Shimano Tranx 300? I am looking for the smallest low profile reel with a 300 sized line capacity that I can get away with and that will allow me to spool on as much braid as I can and still achieve a very high IPT for glide bait fishing. 

I don't even have the Revo Beast 40 and even I can recommend this reel just based on the so many positive reviews I've read from everyone here on SU! SLEEPER Swimbait reel for sure! I definitely need to cop one! I saw one on the black market for 175 shipped a couple weeks ago too! Should have scooped it up. I seriously should have waited on my Daiwa Tatula 200 and gone with the Revo Beast 40 instead since its a 300 size line capacity spool inside of a 200 sized frame. It would make the perfect glide bait reel for my small hands. 

Honestly I hate my tatula 200, worst reel I’ve ever owned. Line capacity is way more than the 200, not sure exactly how much but definitely more. I’ve fished rockfish 250+ ft deep with my beast. I run half spool of 65lb braid to 20lb red label. I would give it a try, I strongly agree you will not disagree with it. The drag is plenty strong to handle 40+lb angry saltwater fish so it won’t ever have a problem for a largie

17 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Anyone have experience with the newer Revo Beast 40X?

If you mean the cheaper black one it's an ok option if you find it on sale (which it usually is on sale). It's not as smooth and the braking isn't as good either. And considering you can get the regular 40 for $190 on Digitaka I don't think it's worth it at all.