TRAVEL ROD HELP!!

LabRatsFishing

I’ve got two mega bass valkaryies ready to go. Flight leaves tomorrow. Anybody have any idea if I’m able to get away with bringing them as a carryon. Maybe sticking out of a backpack as a personal item??? I’m sure someone’s had the same problem. Let me know SU!!!

I’ve traveled quite a bit with scientific poster tubes and have never been questioned about carrying them on. If they stick out of your backpack or are strapped to the outside you likely won’t have any issues. I’ve also traveled many times with mountain bike helmets buckled to the outside of my carry on without any issues. Once you’re on the plane nobody will care if you take them out so they don’t get broken or ask a flight attendant if you can store them in the coat closet up front in first or business class (again airline dependent)

I flew to Florida from California a couple months ago and I was able to carry on a backpack and a travel rod. The backpack is the carry on, rod was the personal item. I had 2 layovers and had to fly on 2 different airlines due to cancelled flights, no one questioned me at all 

Probably too late but hopefully it all worked out. I have traveled a lot with travel rod tubes and so far it has not been an issue. They fit in overhead bins on most smaller jets and on the bigger ones too.

Just remember to grab the rods from the plane or shuttle when you leave. After a long set of flights it is easy to forget them.

Edited by FishDr

Traveled across Europe last summer with this setup as carry on only, had my F5 Conceal Carry rod and a 3 piece Daiwa conventional, strapped the tube to the outside of my backpack as my "personal item" no issues, I have also traveled with a larger Plano tube with F5 3 piece rods and caged on with that and a backpack as 2 items, often the flight attendants can place the rod tube on a closet towards the front of the plane if you ask nicely or it usually fits in the overhead compartments.

IMG_3545.thumb.jpeg.00ce2cc2bd1f4f6b0077b090b93f017e.jpeg

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.23a7999b92073edce14acc032c204508.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

@Bakerlounge has the best setup in my opinion. I've flown back and forth from Oahu to CA many times and the travel rod tube strapped to the backpack has always counted as 1 personal item, which allows me to bring 1 additional piece of luggage for clothes/baits. 

On 6/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, Bakerlounge said:

Traveled across Europe last summer with this setup as carry on only, had my F5 Conceal Carry rod and a 3 piece Daiwa conventional, strapped the tube to the outside of my backpack as my "personal item" no issues, I have also traveled with a larger Plano tube with F5 3 piece rods and caged on with that and a backpack as 2 items, often the flight attendants can place the rod tube on a closet towards the front of the plane if you ask nicely or it usually fits in the overhead compartments.

IMG_3545.thumb.jpeg.00ce2cc2bd1f4f6b0077b090b93f017e.jpeg

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.23a7999b92073edce14acc032c204508.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

Where do you get the travel rod tube?

Got the rods over no problem. Strapped on the backpacks. Counted as a personal. No questions asked. Thank you guys very much, having a blast on smallmouth. Largemouth and pike. I’ll be uploading an album for you guys who are interested. Got the camera. Getting some great pictures