PB striped bass with an audience

Swimbait302

Was in the area and decided to fish the body of water the Delaware state record largemouth was caught out of (wagamons pond in Milton). I started at the dam above the spillway casting into the wind and lost an 8” magdraft to a pickerel and decided I’d had enough of the swimbait for the day.  The spillway at wagamons pond dumps water into the upper broadkill river which is a brackish tidal fishery (roughly 9 miles from the Delaware bay). I caught abt 15 little largemouth blitzing micro bait on a lucky craft pointer sp and as I was abt to leave I watched someone across the river catch a 6lb largemouth on a worm and bobber and said “what the hell why not throw the sly guy around”. I moved over to the other side of the river and saw 20+ bluegill beds scattered around a drainage pipe and knew I had a shot at a big largemouth. These beds happened to be abt 50 yards from a popular Mexican restaurant so there were plenty of people walking around and even more people fishing the spillway. First cast out by the drop off I get 2 chops in with the 6.2” sly guy gill before the water erupted around my bait. At first I thought I’d hooked the state record but after a drag stripping 20 yard run I got her to the bank and realized what I’d caught. And the people fishing next to me offered to take a picture of my catch. 93FB0A04-5487-4B4F-AC42-CF1885D4138C.thumb.jpeg.1aabd39825fca949411767e6f2dbb37e.jpegI had no idea striper of this size traveled this far upriver and after getting a weight and length on her I realized that this was my biggest striper period. I’ve been chasing a striper of this size all my life in the canal by my house in Lewes and I think it’s pretty funny that I finally land her 9 miles upriver in trophy largemouth territory. Sorry for the long write up but this fish means more to me than a 6lb largie ever could. 11.2lbs 29”3EE6F966-C10E-4328-98BA-55C8E2CD340C.thumb.jpeg.06c983a91362a95810a55c323d861ee7.jpeg740EF101-7FBE-4517-AA8C-E3E0B1E07EC6.thumb.jpeg.671c8a092516578cd8978c1b99e0b369.jpeg 

Congratulations, that’s a beauty of a striper. 
No apologies needed for the write up. Be proud of your catch and share your story, it was a good read and deserves to be told. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler
Spelling.

• 2 months later...