GoPro Hero5 not accepting external battery?

danthefisherman

Hi SU,

I have been trying to figure out how to hook up my chest-mounted GoPro Hero5 Black to an external power source, but whenever I plug in my power pack the camera stops recording. Then when I hit the record button the camera shuts off. The camera accepts charge just fine, but only when not recording it seems.

Has anyone experienced this issue and figured out how to fix it?

I had a similar problem when I started using the go pro. Wouldn’t stay connected and would just cut off. Battery pack I had would charge it just fine. Friend of mine suggested using a anker battery pack and use a anker cord and I’ve not had a problem staying connected or anything else since. Hope this helps.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:57 PM, danthefisherman said:

Hi SU,

I have been trying to figure out how to hook up my chest-mounted GoPro Hero5 Black to an external power source, but whenever I plug in my power pack the camera stops recording. Then when I hit the record button the camera shuts off. The camera accepts charge just fine, but only when not recording it seems.

Has anyone experienced this issue and figured out how to fix it?

My hero 5 doesn't have this issue. I wonder if it's the brand u got....

• 1 month later...

Update for anyone who might encounter the same problem: I factory reset my camera and it seems to accept charge while recording now.

Note that the external battery pack might just extend the battery life and not necessarily charge the camera while recording. Thus it is best to have some charge in your main battery and not rely solely on the external source. Also the battery icon will not show that it is charging when you hit the record button which could be misleading.