NFC 807 Epitome Blank

BAMA_CR

Has anyone else ordered one of these to try?  Does anyone think it will make a good swimbait rod?  They are backordered, but were running them at $150 each.  I am somewhat new to large swimbaits, and I don't have a lot of experience with swimbait rods, but I couldn't help myself.  I wanted to have a rod built and decided to try it.  I am new to the site as well, but I am wondering if anyone else has an opinion, one way or the other, on these blanks.  Thanks.

I ordered two of them back when the pre order was open in early/mid May. Should hopefully ship by end of June. Based on the email announcement I assume the SWB807 is a blank DRT uses/modifies to make the Pulse 1C but I’m not exactly sure. I’ve been building on a few of their blanks lately and I’m really happy with them so I figured the Epitome SWB807 was worth a shot. It should be a great blank for mid size baits. 

IMG_5200.png

Ive built over a dozen rods from them, all of them came out great.  Ive built the SWB 807, 808, BB809 and BB 806 all on the IM blank material and nice rods.  The bounce back rods are awesome treble bait hooks.  The xray rods ive built for conventional tackle are the lightest most sensitive rods ive used.  Ive never used anything built on the new carbon air blanks.  My SWB808 weighs 6 ozs so you could get down to 5 oz on the new blank.  The IM blanks are cheap when they have sales $45 each when i bought 3.  So you have to ask yourself is that extra $100 worth one ounce lighter rod.  

That being said, I'm intrigued by the idea of using the new blank with one of those new handles with the reel seat built in.

I am intrigued by the new handle as well.  I ordered 2 of those to try.  I've built a couple of flipping sticks with the NFC blanks (the 966 HMX and the x-ray 7109) which are mod-fast blanks and have been really impressed.  It will be ridiculous if the new rod ends up at around 5oz!!  

I ordered 1 to build when the email came out last month. I've built a handful of rods from NFC and I've been very satisfied with the quality. 1 blank on arrival wasn't particularly straight, I contacted them and since they're located in WA I was able to bring the blank to them to exchange. Hoping the SWB807 ships out soon, I have everything ready to build it out and I'm eager to get my hands on it. 

Edited by SockeyeSteve
spelling

On 6/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Clc442 said:

"So you have to ask yourself is that extra $100 worth one ounce lighter rod."

I doubt it, but once I saw the testing video, where it took (something like) 60 pounds to break the blank, plus the benefit of it being lighter, I couldn't help myself.  I had to try it while it was on sale.  Keep in mind that this blank will sell for, I think, $325 after this initial release sale.  Now, I highly doubt it's worth that much of a price difference.  I could be wrong though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished a build on this blank. Compared to the regular 807SWB, the epitome 807 is less powerful. It's rated 3-8oz, but I'd say it's more 1-5oz. Probably more suited for trebles as well in my opinion. The blank is super light for a swimbait rod though. Should be a fun rod. 

For those of you who have gotten your Epitome 807 blanks, how long was it from order to shipping? I see they’re rolling out live inventory but this wasn’t shown on the status when I checked. 

Got mine a couple weeks ago, and my order was placed early/mid May. Like mentioned above, it’s rated up to 8oz but definitely more of a 1-5oz or so. Extremely light though, and good taper for hard baits. Makes me want to try their standard 807 just to see the difference. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I picked up 2. Says 2-8 but I’m saying 5 and hopefully 6. I’ll be throwing my (180 spro) chad Shad’s on it plus a few big spinners/bucktails.  I was hoping I could throw my 250 slide swimmer but thinking that may have to be a heavier rod. 
 I’m building it with the new double foot cerecoils spiral wrapped and the black widow handle once it gets in. It’s going to be a very light build so was hoping to hear the baits people were throwing with it. 

2 hours ago, Jrad said:

Yeah I picked up 2. Says 2-8 but I’m saying 5 and hopefully 6. I’ll be throwing my (180 spro) chad Shad’s on it plus a few big spinners/bucktails.  I was hoping I could throw my 250 slide swimmer but thinking that may have to be a heavier rod. 
 I’m building it with the new double foot cerecoils spiral wrapped and the black widow handle once it gets in. It’s going to be a very light build so was hoping to hear the baits people were throwing with it. 

Sounds like you need the new xray swb 909!  They say 12-24oz, time to get a musky

15 hours ago, Clc442 said:

Sounds like you need the new xray swb 909!  They say 12-24oz, time to get a musky

Ohh yeah. That’s what I’m saying. Maybe I’ll save my components for that build. Was thinking the 807 was a hog but the 909 is probably it. It’s going to be a broomstick but I have a few massive inline spinnerbaits . I’d guess probably 10 oz . What would be a good reel for this?

I’ve never had anything bigger than my concept a3