Video camera setups

JohnMarino

Lets hear your video camera setup/strategy's maybe this will also help people looking for camera idea's.

My goal this new year is to get a double digit on video. It almost happened once when I stuck an 11.6lb PB, my camera was dead the very next cast. I also had the video camera recording, and I had a wolfpack of bass about 10-12 followers with a deps 250 in ultra clear water and I was more then sure it was on video, I couldn't believe it, as the bait approached the boat, the fish nosing the bait was a 12+lber and I gave it one twitch glide pause, and wham the smallest fish of the school, a 8.5lber, yep that wasent on video either. So now I have backups of backup of BACKUP video cameras LOL

On my boat I have a standard tripod mount on the single console, Its easy to adjust if Im in front of the back or even back of the boat footage.

And I customized a hat (with a strong/sturdy bill) with a screw,bolt,washer and that is my tripod mount - first person view (kind of like HatCams, google it.)

If im shore fishing, I use a suction cup tripod mount and suction it on to signs, tackle boxes or anything that looks flat and will stick.

And my cameras are;

Astak ActionPro 1080p hd (awesome camera very much like the GoPro, got 2 battery's, that will last 2.5 - 3 hours recording time on each, two 32gb memory cards, quality is awesome, and the features/accessories it comes with are vs gopro are GREAT) After this camera dies out I use the Flip ultra hd cam. and recharge this camera so I can go back and forth between the two.

Flip Ultra HD 2nd gen, 8GB - 720p - holds two hours of recording footage. I have modified it with a Bower .045x Wide angle lens, best part about it, rechargeable AA Batteries is king compared to having 10 gopro batteries. I'd roll up to a fishing spot, record for 20 min or so when Im ready to leave that spot and dont catch anything, I delete the video right then and there, because its easy and quick to do on this cam, only a few button presse's so that maximizes my footage.

Flip Ultra 1st gen 480p - 30 min recording time, AA batteries. This is my backup of backup always good to have just in-case my memory gets full.

iPhone 5, 64gb. - The best camera is the one thats "always with you" On a 100% battery, I can record 1080p video for 2 hours and 30 min. Rigged with a Wide angle lens and iPhone 5 tripod mount. It takes awesome video like a GoPro, Its not waterproof, unless you have a lifeproof case, so be careful without one. its damn good. I also use an app called "Video camera+" while im fishing/recording you can reduce the quality if your running out of space. And you can let it record without stopping. I try not to use my iPhone, but Its great if you forgot a camera, or whatever.

So while Im fishing if I got good footage most likely every device is dead. Whenever sometime dies out, I re-charge it using a USB Power Bank I can charge two things at a time with it or use a cig. lighter adapter in the boat. Most of the time Im only using two cameras, the actionpro and the flip camera and rotating both when they die out. But if everythings dead and the day is epic, I'll use em ALL LOL :lol:

Heres most of the stuff I got, you can find alot of accessories on ebay or amazon, Thought it would be a neat to get some ideas.

Editing is done on the computer or iMovie on my iPad using a usb transfer cable.

post-1462-14252990703806_thumb.png

single gopro hero3 for me.

if im pounding the shoreline, i have the head mount.

when im in the boat, its mounted on top of the steering console.

im still trying to figure out a way to get better footage, ie. being able to see followers and topwater explosions without giving away your location.

single gopro hero3 for me.

if im pounding the shoreline, i have the head mount.

when im in the boat, its mounted on top of the steering console.

im still trying to figure out a way to get better footage, ie. being able to see followers and topwater explosions without giving away your location.

same here... hero 3, i machined a handle with a spike on the bottom (i bank fish mostly) so i can carry the cam then just stick it in the ground wherever i fish.... works good and waterproof

Gopro hero, hero 3 and Olympus waterproof camera for stills. I have back up memory cards for the Gopros and 3 batteries for the hero and 5 for the hero 3 (which drains batteries a lot quicker).

From my friends boat I use a Tripod.

From shore I use the flat plate that the Gopros come with or a Gorilla tripod.

For my float tube I have made a rod holder camera mount with 2 camera mounts.

IMGP4448.jpg

101_2407.jpg

101_2805.jpg

• 1 year later...

bumping this up as johns post was super helpful, good stuff 

setting up cameras this year, got the vivitar 787dvr camera for short $$$, and need to be able to switch em from the crawdad to the tracker.

the suction cup mount on the cooler sounds like a great idea for the crawdad

Kodak Playsport 5 1080P 32gig i plug in a external battery pack camera stays full all the time.mounted to rear seat stem on my Champion boat.i get 5hrs per 32gig card, on camera screen can edit playback and delete all from the camera itself it also has remote so i can use anywhere on boat.

Edited by Jerrystowing