Wintertime finesse swimbaiting...

bigworm

In the spirit of giving I thought I would share an interesting pattern I was able to capitalize on lately. Maybe someone else can do the same with it.

Last month I had the opportunity to fish a nice "little" lake on two separate occasions. It is a rare opportunity for me to go there since it is 9 hours from my house. Due to the holiday and a work meeting the week before I was able to take advantage.

It is a reservoir in Ca that at this point is extremely low, like many of them. Most of the shoreline structure is high and dry at this point and the visibility was about a foot. I was only able to bring a flipping stick and a small backpack of gear. The first day I wandered around the shore fishing some points with my go to top hook rising son. A few half hearted bumps later I worked my way to the dam. I finally saw two fish follow very lethargically right up to the rocks. I tried a bottom hook rising sun semi parallel next for nothing. Switched up to a hudd 68 thinking a little more thump would get a reaction, nothing. The sun finally warmed the area up enough to take off my sweatshirt. As I sat down and ate my sandwich, I saw a tail just stick out of the water right on the bank. I dug around and found my pack of mighty minnows. I started fishing them parallel to the rock really slow bumping some rocks in just about 2-3' and instantly started getting fish to respond. The bites were everything from a swirl and a thump to nothing but pressure. I was poorly equipped with some faulty leader material and proceeded to break several fish off on the short range hooksets. First time that I felt the braid leader set up completely failed me. I did manage one to land several with one good one to end the day. 8-4

a43e63ae-ec8c-4e9a-a381-3b885141d18b_zps2e0e7439.jpg

10 days later, I was really excited to be going back. The conditions hadn't changed, it may have been a little colder. Nighttime lows around 25 with daytime temps at maybe 60. I still had my flipping stick but was spooled with 20lb abraz flouro and a couple packs of minnows. I got there around noon and they were already biting. Same deal fish right up in the rocks trying to warm up a little. Along the whole face of the dam, there was only three spots were they would be biting. All associated with the largest rocks.

2c0664eb-0db7-45e3-bb7a-66b3e738f575_zps13aebc44.jpgfd4f0396-c25b-426b-bacb-c2312753df13_zps6665af83.jpgf786a78c-a09b-46bb-8fbb-ae521a932cc6_zps30e3d7bf.jpg

Three of the nice mid range 6's out of about 15 fish! And right as the sun started to go down... another 8!

6b333025-296d-4e7d-ae3c-a4c5ffc3d039_zpsda53d2f6.jpg

As soon as the sun started to get low, it was over. Had a happy two hour drive back to where we were staying. Now that it is shockingly colder across the whole country it is probably to late, but maybe next year someone can find the same "finesse" swimbait pattern.