Striped Bass in New York

SDBayBassMan

I recently read an article online all about a group of guys fishing stripers near the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC. I had no clue that people caught stripers up there. Just curious if anyone knows of anyone or has heard of anyone chucking big swimbaits out in the salt out there. I bet some of these big baits might work. Seems to me that these guys are fishing much smaller baits and cut bait for big fish.

Check out the article. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way down the page. The group of guys out there call themselves the Brooklyn Urban Anglers Association:

http://bkuaa.wordpress.com

Yeah there are stripers for sure in the Hudson bay, Hudson River, and East river. In and around all the 5 boroughs of New York City and all the tributaries down to the New Jersey shore. In spring and fall the stripers make their runs and sometimes it shoulder to shoulder in the prime spots around the City. Haven't seen or heard much about plug fishing near the city. Most of it is various live and chunk baiting depending on time of year. A lot of the plug fisherman are surf guys near the beaches from what I know. I've wanted to throw big topwater swimbaits in the East River from Manhattan but I have no idea if I'd be wasting my time. I do know that if you're throwing artificial there, it's bucktail jigs. It's definitely the premiere species for the NYC urban anglers.

I've been trying to get out on the river or bay so see if I can get a swimbait bite going but so far haven't had the opportunity.

Jeremy Wade got some love in the East River as well.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/river-m ... d=10681150

http://www.nycfishing.com/eastriver2.html (scroll to the bottom)

Next time you go, you should give it a shot. I read the article and I was thinking to myself, if the freshwater swimbait bite in Cali works for stripers, it should work in the salt.. If I was in that area, I would definitely want to give it a try and dedicate an entire season to it.

If you've got a 250 or even a punker, you should give it a shot.

What months of the year are most of these being caught?

Thanks for those links too.. I'm gonna take a look at them.

Usually the main bite period is April to June and starts back up again in the Fall end of September to November. Every year is different. The biggest contestant to the striped bass are blue fish which can be big, nasty, and tear your sh#t up!

You make it to NYC, I'll take you to those spots and you can throw your Slide swimmer in there. I'll watch. 8-)

That's the cool thing about Striper. They are anadromous and can migrate from fresh to salt at their own leisure. From what I have heard, swimbaiting for saltwater Striper can produce some MONSTER fish! Scope some YouTube saltwater striper catches. :P

I've fished NYC/Brooklyn/Long Island for stripers and it is an absolute incredible fishery. Lots of fish, lots of nice sized fish. Biggest fish are taken on live baits or lures at night, but it takes serious skill to catch the cows, they see a lot of different baits. I'd hate to fish my expensive swimbaits for em though. They're tougher then hell and there is a lot of nasty cover in the right places to catch big fish. 9" sluggos are my favorite.

Edit: They fish smaller stuff because they chuck it hard all day and the forage is pretty small too. The striper really key in on the right bait in the right size, not just a big meal.

Getcha some of those! Bluefish are one of my favorite eating fish

if you see the east river in all its glory, you might not eat the blues that you pull out of there.

Haha good point. That makes me think about the Seinfeld episode when they think its gross Kramer swims the East River