A tale of two Passengers

An 86 Baits purple gizzard doomrider was my very first garage bait I ever bought and second glide ever(Swaver was first). Fell in love with it as many of us did and this began the journey that has me here. So when the passenger dropped in that color I quickly jumped on it and snagged 2 slow sinks and a low float. Happy I had waited till the second color dropped I couldn’t wait to get them in my hands. 

The baits showed up and the next day after work I had the slow sink tied on to give it a go. First impressions I was a bit disappointed the swim was a bit “snakier” than I was hoping for. But its action on pause and rod input after was promising so away I went. Only had 30 minutes to kill but still couldn’t get over how wrong I was in what I thought this bait was going be like. But that subsided when I got a few huge bass following interested in the straight retrieve. I have never seen one this big, at this particular pond show itself but I have a friend that caught a 7 there so I knew that they r there. Now i have my own visual confirmation as well as his picture. Couldn’t get it to commit but got it to show itself and the little wolf pack 3 other times then nothing. Oh well gotta get home to the fam. 

Next day at my home pond, take her out again, and seem story followers but not interested. Usual triggering aren’t working so I’m getting frustrated. I can’t help but think with the tighter shimmy I thought it would be would’ve got the job done. I know this isn’t the case most likely especially because I got followers both times. I just haven’t figured out how to trim on this one yet but still can’t get it out of my head so I decided to modify one of the two. 

I added some bumpers to restrict the action, but they were made of foam not rubber or plastic. Did this because I wanted to be able to compress them easy with input from the an effort to still maintain the kick out I wanted. I’ll put some pictures below and try to get some video tomorrow of the swims, both stock and modified. Sounds going down now so the video quality wouldn’t be any good at the moment. But after work today did a little testing and she got it almost right away. I intend to keep the other one stock and learn it as a maker intended it to be.

Writing this is to hopefully inspire some others that may be on the fence about tuning or modifying their baits or got one that wasn’t what they were thinking. Tweak em!!! These foam pads are held on with a dab of superglue so I can cut them off with a razor blade super easy and return it back to stock as well. But the end of the day the action I saw was what I was after, and immediately produced for me so now I have confidence in it. I also still have another version of the same bait with totally different action that I get to learn as well, score. (Ain’t the biggest fish but she ain’t the last)

C18564EC-4378-40E0-A140-C23205095496.jpeg

B6208691-8B51-4157-83BB-0C2457E9B267.jpeg

61341DFE-FB39-4DC0-AB95-F627CDB07521.jpeg

31AEA1B6-BA72-4063-9F45-76069120D6A9.jpeg

FB15C247-283E-4DDD-AB3B-BC0C032DA2C2.jpeg

67399D2C-7E25-4F2B-9C4E-2C45524E036C.jpeg

nice write up @Habitual_lip_ripper, i think matt makes a nice bait that appeal to the masses but i find his baits need tweaking for my fishing, I've sanded the joints down a lot on the CFH and it made the bait much better IMHO, sink rates on the doom rider and tempest were too slow and came up too fast so played around with hooks/strips to get em where I wanted. 

I agree that most guys are too scared/concerned about modifying their baits, but then again most guys aren't actually fishing these things

baits hanging on a wall don't require any mods 

3-piece "glides" definitely need a little more input from the user to make it glide like a 2-piece. Took me a while to get familiar with the Dowzswimmer but it has become my confidence glide because I can fish it in a lot of ways including that "snakey" action if they just want something subtle. Was considering getting a Passenger but wanted to see reviews from others first. Thanks for the post!

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

nice write up @Habitual_lip_ripper, i think matt makes a nice bait that appeal to the masses but i find his baits need tweaking for my fishing, I've sanded the joints down a lot on the CFH and it made the bait much better IMHO, sink rates on the doom rider and tempest were too slow and came up too fast so played around with hooks/strips to get em where I wanted. 

I agree that most guys are too scared/concerned about modifying their baits, but then again most guys aren't actually fishing these things

baits hanging on a wall don't require any mods 

DAM RIGHT!

Glad to see the responses, thanks everyone. I was able to get some ok swim vids of the modified one today but can’t seem to get them to load :?: Phone videos so not sure why. Gopro was on the yak so I’ll try again with it another day. I’ll get some of the unmodified one too for comparison. 

@chefchrisappreciate it bud. I’ve modified my cfh as well. Didn’t really care for the swim so I removed the lip and i found it swam like his glides it just floated. Couple of weight strips and quads and it was just like a doomrider. Thought to myself, unlocked glide mode why not see if we can put a lip in and make it removable like a Klash? I had some spare lips I bought from Toxic and put a wade lip in it. The action was killer and it walked like a f*ckin dream! Took a piece of abs plastic from a tackle box divider and cut it down to wedge the lip in for a while but lost it when it caught a for the first time and once again banging on rocks. Glued it in this time as I didn’t really need to go back to “glide mode” cuz I have plenty of dooms. I had to cut the lip kinda dramatically to make it fit and it looks kinda jacked but it will get at least 4ft down maybe further. Pics below for better explanation of the Frankenstein Toxic CFH lol. 
D8B2009B-3A28-44A8-96DE-9375F9C6DB41.thumb.jpeg.296ff790044b8bfba52a525a4d3df264.jpeg

73958F6C-6671-4785-8039-E6DBD26D89E2.thumb.jpeg.1ac90a7e89dad869bbbcedcdfc066725.jpeg
18BD606A-94C4-4C7E-B709-33DFBAF5E669.thumb.jpeg.3c61be6f0cb259bd5da913615967c9aa.jpeg

I’m curious about others mods, doesn’t have to be 86 related. I’d love do see how others have come up with their own solutions and what it’s taught them.