Thoughts on the ryugi pierce trebles

Morgan Y

I’m a giant fan of Teflon coated hooks made out of a more rigid steel at a thinner diameter so after getting the ryugi pierce trebles I was quite impressed. I’m trying to decide whether it’d be worth downsizing since the 2/0 and 1/0 that I grabbed for my 250 are a bit large and I’m more open to the idea of smaller hooks after having used 2/0 and 1/0 round bend bronzes for the longest time. I’m doing some experimenting. First of all how do they do on strength, second is the slight inwards bend a limiting factor on slap bites, and third how do they do as far as landing fish? I think I kind of know the answers to all of the questions because I own a few of them but I thought I’d ask. 

38 minutes ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I have only used the small sizes but definitely sharp. Can't speak to strength for the larger ones.

I plan to use a 1/0 in the front and a 0 in the back or possibly a 0 in the front and a 1 in the back but I’ll have to experiment. 

I like em and have on my slammers and a few other baits where i cant run kvds 

my only issue is I had one break after hitting a rock (was the one side thats welded on) but a clean break, after that i was a little sketched out but since then no issues and have hooked into big strong fish (even used em on stripers this spring with no issue) 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

I like em and have on my slammers and a few other baits where i cant run kvds 

my only issue is I had one break after hitting a rock (was the one side thats welded on) but a clean break, after that i was a little sketched out but since then no issues and have hooked into big strong fish (even used em on stripers this spring with no issue) 

If I had to wager a guess I’d say they broke because they’re a stiffer harder steel that’s as a result more brittle so impact will make them explode. On the flip side of that my experience with these kind of hooks tells me that they won’t flex much or at all even at a thinner diameter for this same reason so as long as the fish isn’t snapping them they aren’t going to bend out. 

Been using them for about three years now on my crawlerbaits. Size 1. I'm a big fan. Paired with the correct rod they will land the Bigs without any problem. Bending out seems to occur when i use my Heavy rod. Thing is a broomstick though. Sticky sharp and seem to stay that way.