Lure rating

dannyboydb8

Question about lure rating…I only had 1 swimbait rod before and that was a megabass tequila baccarac which is rated for 3/4-4 oz. My friend gifted me a  st croix bass x xxh which is rated for 4-8oz. I don’t have much in that range as of yet besides for a toxic baits wade hoggs. 

Wonder if anyone had any thoughts about using the bass x 4-8oz rod for lures around the 2.3-4oz range. Or should I try to get rid of this rod and get something rated up to 6oz?

19 hours ago, chevro1et said:

The St. Croix is probably going to be very unforgiving with treble hook baits below 4oz, probably better suited for your Citizen 7s for now.

Thanks! I'll keep it when i start getting into the big boy baits

• 4 weeks later...

Bass X is a pretty stout rod, great for softbaits but you'd probably want to run soft mono to compensate for the lack of flex with hard baits. Also not their most durable blank either, both the Mojo's and Bass X series tend to be very susceptible to taking dings and dents from hitting something hard and then breaking under stress.