Handle Length Question

Warsaw

You guys that have upgraded the handles on your reel to 100mm, 110mm and 120mm, which do you prefer and why.

Do you prefer a smaller one for "lighter rods" with smaller baits say under 3oz and longer for bigger baits? or does it matter? Just a thought

Any comments you can think of? I've been fishing mainly stock handles on my Tranx and other reels and I am intrigued by the bigger handles like Gomexus and others.

On my smaller baits I am throwing them on stock HG model Bantam's and I feel like the handle length is a little too compact.

BTW, I am talking all swimtbaits such as 6-8" paddletail swimbaits and glidebaits in the whole range of sizes from 2-8 oz.

Thanks for any input!

I used to go 100 mm on everything and for a lot of reels that probably is the move but lately I’ve been matching my handle length the retrieve rate or ipt (inches per turn) of the reel. Using 100 mm handle on anything lower than say 26 ipt can feel like your bailing a boat with a spoon so to speak, it can be hard to keep up with the fish if they run on you or if you need to take slack out of the line quickly, i run a 95 for those lower gear ratios. I also go 110 if it is over 30 ipt because it gives a little extra leverage so you still have that smooth and steady feel when wenching on it under load, for general swimbaiting use my favorite setup is a reel around 28 ipt w/ 100 mm handle

Edited by brootalititties

I go 110 and 120, 100mm feels too small for me, I am also a big guy and have big hands so larger handles feel more natural and comfortable while reeling. I tend to lean towards the 1110 size on reels and setups that I will be throwing baits that take rod twitches as the 120 size can feel mechanically awkward and cumbersome while working a bait but 120 size for straight retrieves feels and works great. 

100mm for almost all my reels but my 400-size ones I like the 110mm, or I should say I'm OKAY with it because I'm crawling baits like Hudds on my big reel. I don't need to do much twitching or manipulation with that reel, so the longer handle is fine.

I’ve got a 120mm gomexus flat on my scorpion md and the stock handle on my tranx. Considering the gear ratio of my tranx being 5.8-1 I don’t feel like I need any more than the stock handle which has got to be close to 100mm. Interestingly enough I use a 120mm on my frog reel (metanium) since I couldn’t find a 100mm with the grips I liked and boy is the torque crazy with that thing. I have skied 5 pounders in at full speed without even a second thought. 

Edited by Morgan Y