Split rings to Glide Baits?

Diesel fitter

I have been adding an egg shaped split ring, from Owner, to my glidebaits primarily to cut down on the friction to the line at the knot as the bait works. I am using the San Diego Jam Knot for my connection to the bait. Now none of the baits that I own have come with a split ring, but I added one because of the reason discussed earlier in my post. I am kind of brand new to this swimbait deal, but in the last couple of months I have caught numerous fish over 5 and 1 over 6lbs. In short I am currently “ate up with the swimbait bug” I am really interested in your thoughts on the pros and cons of adding split rings to these baits. Thank you, David

Adding a split ring or snap to a glide bait can change the action of the bait. There's absolutely no problem with what you are doing, it's a common practice. My advice is to fish the baits both with and without the split ring and see how the action differs and if one is more productive than the other. 

I like to add a split ring to most of my baits too for the same reason you mentioned. Sometimes a split ring will help the bait work much better. Sometimes not. It's just one of those things you have to try with each bait. Agree that using a split ring really reduces the stress and fatigue placed on the knot. I usually use a #4 hyperwire.  

with glide baits i usually try them out both with and without a split ring to see how the action differs, most of the time i prefer them without.  on multipiece jointed swimmers, i'm always tying direct to the bait and on lipped baits i'm almost always using a split/solid ring combo.  i'm just doing whatever i feel gets the better action out of the bait, for the stress on the knot, i just try to re-tie as much as my brain will allow!

It can be somewhat more situational than that. Generally, I find that a split ring or snap will usually result in a more choppy action, where a direct tie usually allows the bait to glide as wide as the hydrodynamics / shape of the bait allow. Again, personal experience with individual baits is best.