Talk me into a new, bigger reel (Zillion, Antares, Conquest)

jimanchower

I've read the forum posts and watched the videos but still find myself on the fence. Picked up a Loomis 965 SWBR to throw 2-4oz glides and multi-joint baits (typically more in that 2-3oz range) and I have been using a '22 Zillion HD spooled with heavy braid to a fluoro leader. It works... fine I guess? I have had a couple of instances of the braid digging in and snapping off my bait; luckily both were floaters. Not sure how much of this is a tackle issue versus user error.

Line capacity on the '22 Zillion is adequate - at least I haven't casted down to the spool yet. I'm getting about 65 yards of 80# Power Pro Maxcuatro on it. Based on that I believe I could get enough 20# fluorocarbon on it as well, which is something I might try as I'm almost exclusively throwing treble-hooked baits. I'm not particularly worried about the gears since I'm not throwing high-resistance baits, and gears are cheap-ish to replace if they get worn. So if line capacity and retrieve smoothness/power are adequate, what am I missing by not stepping up to a more suitable reel? 

Edited by jimanchower

• jimanchower changed the title to Talk me into a new, bigger reel (Zillion, Antares, Conquest)

If you're only throwing 3oz max baits, the Zillion is just fine. I had one myself and spooled it with 20lbs fluorocarbon and had plenty of line to fish it. If you wanna go slightly lower, spool it with some 18# JDM fluorocarbon and get a little bit more line on the spool. 80# braid is overkill as well for baits in those weight ranges. No need to go any larger on the reel size honestly.

Thanks for the input. My switch to 80# braid was to try to prevent it from digging in to the spool, but having experienced the same issue as with 50# I'm taking a harder look at my cast. Both times this has happened near the end of my day fishing, which I think speaks volumes. It's a mental thing.

Shortly after I posted yesterday an offer I couldn't refuse appeared, and I've got a Zillion HD 1520 on the way. I'll move my JDM Zillion HD down to my rod that I'm using for 1-2oz baits (wakes, 6" swimbaits, small glides).

It is likely a casting issue but that’s why I stopped using braid all together for heavy baits, i fished braid to leader for nearly every other conventional application but braid is just too unforgiving with heavy lures and no stretch it just snaps on a backlash and tends to backlash far more often than flouro for me.

Also as far as the reel size, i would stick with that zillion personally. That 1520 you picked up is also great cause it not too big. I did the opposite, started with a freakin 400 size reel cause that’s what all the oldschool dudes swear by, spent a lot of damn money switching everything over to 150-200 size reels cause they are easier to fish with all day and the capacity is so much easier to deal with, larger reels either require to waste line spooling the whole thing or most guys including myself fill the spool with braid and run 100 yd top shot of flouro/mono so you’re rarely ever casting the braid. A smaller size reel holds the amount of line you actually need to fish with so you can just peel the spool empty and spool another fresh 100 yds very easily. You’re never gonna have a largemouth stripping line with 8+ lbs of drag force on the reel so line capacity is super overrated imo and if you really need more as mentioned above, 16-18 lb test would be ample for the baits you’re throwing and give you more line on the spool

I have the 1520 and I love it! I have it on a Dobyns 795 and have no problems throwing 2-5 oz baits with it. It holds plenty of line (20# CXX) and it’s nice that it comes with a bigger stock handle. Just stepped up to the Antares DC MD for my new Blackjack set up!

I second the HD 1520. It's one of my workhorses, but I have mine with 17lb CXX which has the same diameter as a lot of other 20lb copoly. 

I use reels with a non-disengaging levelwind when I'm fishing braid (Abu Toro HS, Abu Salty Stage LJ3, Conquest 300). I feel like that I have less tendency for the line to bite because the line is laid evenly after every cast.

With the above the 2018 Daiwa Zillion HD is in my opinion one of the best swim bait oriented reels today I feel like it's built for swimbaits in mind(1520 spool is t*ts, the braking is sweet, and the standard handle is nuts) even though it can be versatile and do a lot of other things and if needed but I would ditch the 22 zillion as that is stated as HD but it's definitely not built as such it is a fine real nonetheless but not really suited for heavier baits in my opinion especially because you lose a lot of line capacity depending on what kind of line you're throwing I throw straight braid and never have issues you just have to mind your sensibilities and whatnot so don't get too frustrated with braid just yet

Side note not really sure what your ranges are but my experiences been well over 5 oz with that particular reel and l'm sure it can go quite a bit higher as well

Edited by Cristo

Thanks for all of the great advice. The Zillion 1520 arrived today and I spooled it up with some 20# Yo-Zuri copoly to give that a shot. I tossed around a casting plug to get a feel for it and the reel feels great. I'm sure I'll give it a shot with braid before too long but I'll give the plastic line a fair shake.

2 hours ago, jimanchower said:

Thanks for all of the great advice. The Zillion 1520 arrived today and I spooled it up with some 20# Yo-Zuri copoly to give that a shot. I tossed around a casting plug to get a feel for it and the reel feels great. I'm sure I'll give it a shot with braid before too long but I'll give the plastic line a fair shake.

A cool hack with the 1520 Zillion -- the DRT flat knobs will fit on the stock handle studs and knob caps.

PXL_20230625_171431818.jpg

PXL_20230625_174136172.jpg