Giant walleye

benczar94

Been dialing in a big swim bait bite for big walleyes the last few Novembers. Really seems to catch me big ones in water temps below 40 degrees right up until ice up. This day was 37 degree water temp. A big mark came up out of 13’ of water and smoked my bait mid column. It was a short intense fight and I got her in the net. 29” long 11 pounds and so round! It got a healthy release, I just put her in the well for a minute while I set up my camera. 

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0659.jpeg

Those other ones were fat 18-21” fish too lol made for a fun picture. My dad once had a 32” plus inch walleye come up and eat a 12” walleye off his hook at the surface. Later that trip he caught a similar sized walleye to the one he saw which was 32.5”

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Fish of a lifetime for most. Congrats! 

It certainly could be but I’m still pretty young (: my dad caught a 32.5” walleye with me once when I was younger so I’m still chasing that caliber of walleye, really hoping for a teener at some point! This lake was fishing really well for big ones and I know there are 30+ inchers in it. I caught 5 over 27-28” walleyes the next evening on this spot on the same big bait so the potential is always there! 

4 hours ago, scojangles said:

That is an awesome fish!

Just out of curiosity, what were you using?  Ive caught a few decent walleyes in low 38-low 40s water temp on the TK and the deps 175.  Nothing like this tank tho.

maybe DM me sometime and I’ll consider giving up the bait info haha, deps 175 is a great bait for these conditions and fish. I got a lot of followers on the deps 250 during these fishing sessions but only got bites on a different bait. In more remote fisheries I’ve caught a lot of big walleye on 9-10” glides. From my experiences any bait that is around 1/3rd of their length is fair game. So when I’m targeting 29+” walleye my starting point is usually 9-10” lures and I may dial it back an inch or two if they are not committing that particular day.

I was in South Dakota but can’t say where exactly… I actually just moved to Maine though which is great and also a little bitter sweet. I love targeting trout on glides, I’d try the smaller jointed claws too. They work really well for me.