New England Swimbaiters. May fishing!

Fishbeastmike

Im making a trip out to new hampshire and vermont for a week or two of fishing in May! I was curious when the bass spawning season occurs? Being from california im bringing and arsenal of big baits and gear! i wanted find some good small and largemouth water around the concord area!

Maybe someone from that area can help better, but I would guess LM spawn down there is going to be anywhere around mid may. But its always going to depend on what the weather is in the spring. If I were you, I would try to hit it in the prespawn. And dont forget the night bite!

Thanks for the info! It seems like anglers in new england arnt trowing too many big baits! ive been out there a handful of times fishing striper off the jetties and got a few crazy looks while chucking triple trouts on a bass rod!

Try being in central Maine throwing a Possum and 10" Realprey...hahaha! There are A LOT of guys in Mass that could help you out that are throwing the big stuff. But like I said, Im half way up in Maine so Im not sure on the exact spawn in NH. We see LM spawn anywhere from mid may to mid june. But spring in general seems to be good for me throwing the hudd. Find some current in the prespawn...

Like everywhere else the bass are not going to spawn until the waters warm up to the right temps. And you just never know what the spring will be like in New England. I'm in central Mass and I've seen bass with eggs in the nests as early as April (small shallow ponds) and as late as the end of June. You won't be that far from large deep lakes like Winnepesaukee, Winnisquam, and Newfound. But there are also just a million small 50 to 500 acre lakes everywhere in New England. After all, the glaciers stopped here! These smaller waters will warm much faster and hold big fish.

In May you should be able to find spawning largies or smallies if you keep your eye on the water temps. And the pre-spawn fishing is often better than the spawn. I'd suggest you call Northern Bass Supply when you get here. They are a good tackle dealer and run one of the biggest tournament trails in the NH. They should be able to steer you right. And you are correct, there aren't a ton of people throwing really big baits but you also won't be the first. Hope that helps.

Like everywhere else the bass are not going to spawn until the waters warm up to the right temps. And you just never know what the spring will be like in New England. I'm in central Mass and I've seen bass with eggs in the nests as early as April (small shallow ponds) and as late as the end of June. You won't be that far from large deep lakes like Winnepesaukee, Winnisquam, and Newfound. But there are also just a million small 50 to 500 acre lakes everywhere in New England. After all, the glaciers stopped here! These smaller waters will warm much faster and hold big fish.

In May you should be able to find spawning largies or smallies if you keep your eye on the water temps. And the pre-spawn fishing is often better than the spawn. I'd suggest you call Northern Bass Supply when you get here. They are a good tackle dealer and run one of the biggest tournament trails in the NH. They should be able to steer you right. And you are correct, there aren't a ton of people throwing really big baits but you also won't be the first. Hope that helps.

Good info! thanks guys! i cant wait to get out there and try some southern california tactics on those NE bass!

Im making a trip out to new hampshire and vermont for a week or two of fishing in May! I was curious when the bass spawning season occurs? Being from california im bringing and arsenal of big baits and gear! i wanted find some good small and largemouth water around the concord area!

May 15-june 15 will cover the bulk of the spawn in NH Sometimes the small mouths will start a little earlier and there will always be a small group of fish that will go earlier or later than the main group. I know most of the waters in the concord area and will be happy to help you when the time comes.

Joe

Well it could depend on what week you are here.. I live in NH and any of the lakes in the lakes region should be on fire, depending on ice out.. Generally by the middle of may the pre spawn pattern is going strong on both kinds.. jekbaits, cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits, and of course SWIMBAITS... Winni and Winnisquam should produce the best..

Northern NE, VT,NH,ME the ice seasons last much longer then Southern NE like Cape Cod Massachusetts, where as the Cape has open water most of the season, it very seldom ice's up tight. So mid/May you could still have ice in the north but south we'd be on the bass as early as MYSELF late March or April. Trout would be on most peoples minds in Northern NE mid may, but I'd say June would be a better bite for bass.....

And I think Sandy at Northern Bass Supply said they are closing the doors for good?

Sandy is running 8 Northern Bass Supply tournaments for 2014. There are two on Winnie the first half of May so she should have some good current info. It would not surprise anyone if she does sell or close the shop in the next few years.

I think you will need to go pretty far up in the Northeast in mid-may to find a lake that is iced up. I fish Mass and NH lakes a lot that time of year. You won't have any trouble finding open water in NH. Let's not scare the Cali guys too much!

Had a cottage in Rochester for 25 years, fished Winni for 30 and many other places.....Not to scare anyone but yes I have seen ice as late as May, maybe not button up but yes ice......Come to the Cape May early June Fishbeastmike ;)

thanks for the info guys! i dont mind the cold weather or ice! it wont be my first rodeo. i just know i better stock up on hudds and the soft baits for those pesky pickrel. i was curious if there are any land locked striper or musky in winni, winnisquam, or any lake around concord! a nice musky is something id like to cross of my list before i die!

• 1 year later...

yea april is ice out up there! this winter has been brutal so it might be a while!

spawn is late may through june.

theres alot of bait up there! perch is one of the best bait! every pond and lake have them!

the bigger lakes have smelt,alewifes perch and trout

id look up trout stocked ponds and start from there! lake winni has so many bays and coves that one part of the lake maybe in the high 50s while on a different part they will be spawning!

ive always like smaller pond due to warmer water. so find a smaller stocked pond.

alot of ponds up there are clear water and sandy bottom unlike my ponds down here near the cape! my ponds are stump filled weedy and stained