big baits.

hilla121

Just got my hands on a Hinkle trout, its way to big for my heaviest setup (dobyns 807). is the only option i have to throw it to purchase a rod for 6-16? I will most likely never throw anything of equal size, let alone bigger, and its alot to get another setup just to throw one bait. just wondering if there is a better alternative to a XXH leviathan or LDC.  Just curious to hear other opinions on the matter from those with some experience in the matter and if i just have to bite the bullet. thanks

14 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Get a Dobyns 908 at any retailer on sale. Throws that bait with ease and works great for baits down to about 6oz as well

shits like just short of 9 feet lol but i guess this is big bait ish.

9 hours ago, hilla121 said:

shits like just short of 9 feet lol but i guess this is big bait ish.

Once you fish a big bait on a 9’ rod you’ll wish it was 10’. And don’t be fooled; the 908 isn’t a broomstick. I tried a couple other big bait rods and was losing fish and they weren’t comfortable. The 908 has a good parabolic flex to it

1 hour ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Once you fish a big bait on a 9’ rod you’ll wish it was 10’. And don’t be fooled; the 908 isn’t a broomstick. I tried a couple other big bait rods and was losing fish and they weren’t comfortable. The 908 has a good parabolic flex to it

So I got a buddy with a ldc xxh custom that he needs to get rid off beacuse I bought his hinkle, 8 6. I just was weary of transpo of a rod over 8 feet as mine barley fit in my rod locker and truck now.

10 hours ago, bdpettit said:

Irod 8'6" Bailey is one of the more budget friendly rods in that range. I use mine for baits smaller than that too and it works great

I see they also have rods under 8 rated 8-12 I'd lean more too. Any experience? 

4 hours ago, hilla121 said:

So I got a buddy with a ldc xxh custom that he needs to get rid off beacuse I bought his hinkle, 8 6. I just was weary of transpo of a rod over 8 feet as mine barley fit in my rod locker and truck now.

I can fit my 908 in my truck

10 hours ago, hilla121 said:

I see they also have rods under 8 rated 8-12 I'd lean more too. Any experience? 

Yes, I've got 5 different models. From a punch rod all the way up to the 8'6".  I've had zero issues.

Only downside I've found is some r a little tip heavy. Not a big issue for me

• 3 weeks later...

my awsome girlfriend was able to talk to one of my fishing buddy and scored me a LDC XXH, very excited to throw it when my time comes here in new england. 

I will ask this, why a spiral wrap on the eyes? is it a LDC thing? ive seen rods ,like the true huddleston rod, with this setup just wondering like the actual purpose? to utilize the whole blank?

On 1/1/2024 at 1:03 PM, hilla121 said:

I will ask this, why a spiral wrap on the eyes? is it a LDC thing? ive seen rods ,like the true huddleston rod, with this setup just wondering like the actual purpose? to utilize the whole blank?

It reduces rotational torque  and allows the line to be on the bottom of the rod. And like the previous person said you can use less guides which makes the rod a little bit lighter. I personally love it, some say it’s not necessary for bass fishing but once you fish a spiral wrapped rod you’ll want all your rods spiral wrapped. I just built a rod the other day with a spiral wrap and I love it! 

• 4 weeks later...